Plugin Contributions

Default Small images disappear in IE7

Hi there, I am using Zen Cart 1.2.7 and don't want Zen Cart to resize the aspect ratio of my images...for example my panoramic images get severely distorted when I enter image size values. Leaving those values blank resolves the distortion, but then the small images disappear altogether in Internet Explorer 7! So, it appears that for IEx7 you must enter some sort vertical and horizontal image size. Is there any way to leave the small image size blank and still have them show in IEx7? You can see examples here:

Andrew Prokos Photography Store

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Small images disappear in IE7

You could try setting just the height for all
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

You could just set the height and leave the width blank which should allow your images to resize proportionally.

Bear in mind that the 3 sizes of the image don't HAVE to contain the same picture; therefore if you wanted to keep everything neat and tidy (by that I mean with square small images in the listings), you could take just a square section as "skyline1.jpg" and have the whole panorama as "skyline1_MED.jpg" and "skyline1_LRG.jpg".

Also, photography site or not, people will not want to wait for the images to load (except for the large version which they will be expecting to be quality), so you have 2 options; either install Image Handler2 (be sure to pick the right version as yours is a very old version of ZC) which will take care of all resizing issues for you, or prepare the 3 sizes of image properly optimised for the web and store them in accordance with the ZC image standards. Right now, your thumbnails are coming in at somewhere between 20-56kb (in the category I viewed) whereas they should be in the region of 3-5kb.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

I don't know if I am the only one seeing this but leaving any image height or width blank doesn't work in IEx7. For exmaple if I pin the height to 100 and leave width blank I get an image which is 100px X 1px wide. So I basically have to set both numbers for IEX and get distorted images. Leaving both numbers blank works fine in firefox though. Maybe later version on Zencart resolved this?
    All of the images being used in my zen cart site are being served from my main gallery website. I have the zen cart gallery integration module which connects the two so that you don't have to have duplicate entry of items in one website and then have to enter it again in zen cart. Any changes I make in the main website are automatically updated in zen cart. So, I think even if I install Image handler it won't be able to optimize the images since they don't exist in any zen cart image database, they exist only in the gallery image directory. I think that it would have been much better planning for the coders to use gallery's thumbs rather than the full size images for the zen cart thumbs. I might be able to just upload images to the zencart directory and not use the images being brought from gallery at all though...but that rather defeats the purpose of having an integration module between the two sites.
    Having said that, a 25K thumbnail size isn't that much of an issue for my site anyway since dialup users are not my target audience. It would be nice to be optimized for all bandwidths but if I lose the dialups its no biggie.
    --Andrew
    New York City Fine Art Photography

Plugin Contributions

I have the zen cart gallery integration module
    You did not preface this post with that fact....Is this your module?

If not please provide your info to the author as I see where he considers it a "Beta" awaiting feedback for the community
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

From what I have seen on the gallery side the module was developed and then dropped by the author(s). It receives no support on the gallery website from the original author. None of us gallery site owners using the module will be able to upgrade to a later version of zencart until the module is updated.
    --Andrew
    New York City Stock Images

Plugin Contributions

Which one are you using?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

V 1.2.7

Plugin Contributions

Actually was asking which gallery module but that is interesting with 1.2.7....You really should be in the process of upgrading and at least a development install if yours is a live site.

Gallery2 Zen Cart Integration or
    Gallery Category
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten