Thread: How do I test?

Plugin Contributions

Default How do I test?

What I wanted was to set up and use websites payment pro direct - but after much trawling here I realise that is not supported yet. I hope this mystically 'soon' comes along in the not distant future, that would be ace.

But getting express working was needed as well anyway so starting there didn't seem like a bad idea.

So we applied for a paypal websites payments pro set up which I now believe might not actually have been necessary to use express check out. Moot point now.

Our application is still in process and has not been accepted yet. But we have access to paypal manager so I was able to set/get the api information and set up the zen payment module.

At this stage all seems to be okay - paypal manager tells me we are in test mode, I look through the bevvy of paypal documents for some insight on how to test. I see this cunning looking bit -changing the HOSTADDRESS for testing. Can I find how or where to do this in paypal or zencart? Heck no. And I've looked, really I have.

Still I forged on figuring it was okay - we were in test mode, real money couldn't change hands so I'd give it a go anyway and see what happens in the hope of learning a bit more. So I change the price of one of our test products to a measly 3 cents and purchase it using the paypal express checkout button. Enter my own paypal account details and go ahead.

The result - I'm 3 cents poorer, the business paypal account would be 3 cents richer were it not for fees but paypal manager reports zero actvity.

All told everything went smoothly - I'm just at a total loss as to why, and how nothing is showing up in manager.

Someone help me out here - how on earth do I test? What do I change where and what do I look for? I'm not a totally inexperienced non coder but my coding is pretty rusty and I never did much with php et al anyway and in terms of ecommerce and paypal my only experience is as user...

We were running 1.3.7 but after reading around installing 1.3.7.1 seemed like a good start so I manually replaced the files that have changed in accordance with the docs - fortunately there were no conflicts with the changes I have made for skinning purposes so it was pretty easy.

I'm getting pretty frustrated here and would really appreciate any pointers that folks who know better can offer.

alan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I test?

Did you test using "sandbox" or the live system ?
    Is this a US or UK account ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Configured for live in zen cart.
    UK account.

Thank you - I'm guessing the answer is going to be so obvious it hurts but it wouldn't be the first time and I doubt it'll be the last. The joy of learning.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

First comment ... it's worthwhile noting that the best way to test *any* payment module is to do a real live transaction.

That'll confirm that communications are working, that cards can be validated and charged, and that your manager interface is working and that the cart is receiving responses correctly.

You can always void or refund any transactions via the manager console, mitigating the adverse effects on "the bottom line".

So, you're off to a good start from that perspective.

(PayPal offers additional testing options via a Sandbox area where no real money changes hands ... but it can be quirky to work with and shouldn't be necessary except for developers testing new features or debugging serious problems or transactions with very high dollar amounts.)

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by talisman-studios View Post
    paypal manager tells me we are in test mode, I look through the bevvy of paypal documents for some insight on how to test. I see this cunning looking bit -changing the HOSTADDRESS for testing. Can I find how or where to do this in paypal or zencart? Heck no. And I've looked, really I have.
    There really isn't a spot to "change hostaddress" in the Zen Cart module.
    Do you mind telling me what they suggest changing it from and to ? (payflow.verisign.com vs test-payflow.verisign.com are the typical settings ... but the testing address technically requires separate sandbox accounts etc)

but paypal manager reports zero actvity.
    I gather this is the only console PayPal has offered you for managing your transactions ?

All told everything went smoothly -
    Did your order show up in Zen Cart properly? What's it status? Does it show any comments next to the "Processing" status in the admin when you edit the order?

Someone help me out here - how on earth do I test? What do I change where and what do I look for? I'm not a totally inexperienced non coder but my coding is pretty rusty and I never did much with php et al anyway and in terms of ecommerce and paypal my only experience is as user...
    You're not supposed to need any coding experience to use this. It normally "just works". But PayPal's UK processing system is a bit different than its larger US system.

We were running 1.3.7 but after reading around installing 1.3.7.1 seemed like a good start so I manually replaced the files that have changed in accordance with the docs
    Good call. Those updates will make life much easier.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Wwe have access to paypal manager so I was able to set/get the api information and set up the zen payment module
    What kind of data did they give you ?

Was it API username/password/signature?
    or was it User/Partner/Vendor/Password ?

Plugin Contributions

I did take heart that a transaction seemed to have worked, but knowing that if/when something goes wrong I'll be the one doing the fixing I want to get my head around it as best I can sooner rather than later. The various threads I've read on this forum had me hoping I wouldn't be needing to play in the sandbox so I am glad to hear it should not be needed.

Now on to your question. You got it spot on payflow.verisign.com vs test-payflow.verisign.com as per page 9 of the express payment and direct pament simulator guide. No mention of the sandbox though.

I gather this is the only console PayPal has offered you for managing your transactions ?
    It certainly the only interface I am aware of, I've got access to the regular papypal acocunt and it's regualr selecteion of features, and I can get into paypal manager which is where I was expecting to be looking for most all information of interest to me.
    Did your order show up in Zen Cart properly? What's it status? Does it show any comments next to the "Processing" status in the admin when you edit the order?
    I should have thought to check this and post the information in the original post, logging into the cart admin I can see the order, it's status is 'processing' - a few more details

Payment Method: PayPal
    Payment Type: instant
    Payment Status: Completed
    date added: 08/20/2007 04:50:44
    Customer notified: False
    Comments: Transaction ID: 6RY58260XW942920K
    Payment Type: PayPal Express Checkout (instant)
    Timestamp: 2007-08-20T11:50:47Z
    Payment Status: Completed
    Amount: 0.03 USD

The same is visible from the customer perspective in the shop - in that regard everything went fine, I bought the product and was able to download it right away - our products all download only. And from the look of this I need to do some more configuration so statuses get set to something more useful automatically. Info shows up in zen, which is good, in the payer and payee paypal accounts, which is good, but doesn't appear in paypals manager. - Could this perhaps be because the amount was so low no actual funds made it through after fees?

What kind of data did they give you ?

Was it API username/password/signature?
    or was it User/Partner/Vendor/Password ?
    I was given user/partner/etc by paypal during the sign up process and got the api username/password/signature as per the instructions.

Thank you Dr Byte - your help is much appreciated.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Info shows up in zen, which is good, in the payer and payee paypal accounts, which is good, but doesn't appear in paypals manager.
    Alan,

"You done good."

Since your order completed, the funds were transferred, and the record shows correctly in Zen Cart, Zen Cart appears to be operating just fine for your site.

Others have reported that some transactions only show in the main PayPal account and not also in Manager. While it may be inconvenient, I'm not worried about it. (The CC transactions handled via Website Payments Pro, once your account is approved and the Zen Cart module for that is installed after its release, will likely show in Manager just fine.)

I think the Express-Checkout vs Manager issue is something that'll need to be addressed at the PayPal tech support level.

Good luck with your shop !

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I just spoke with PayPal UK, and they confirmed a suspicion I had.

Manager won't get transactions that are done via the API details from your main PayPal account.
    Manager only sees transactions done via the Pro service.
    Once your account is activated for Pro, then you'll be able to use the new Pro module (due out soon), and all your transactions (express checkout or direct) will appear in Manager.

So ... you're not losing any marbles ... you're just waiting in limbo !!

Plugin Contributions

You sir, are a gentleman. Thank you again for the help and for the update.