Plugin Contributions

Default encrypt admin password

Hi,

I'm sure you know this already, but the admin password is passed in plain text to the server unless you're using SSL.

I'm wondering if there is any add-on I can get, or something I can do to encrypt the admin password before it is sent to the server (currently sent in plain text) - short of buying an SSL certificate. I do have an SSL certificate for another store on the same server, but I'm not sure if it will let me use that certificate for this new domain. I wouldn't care if I got pop-up warnings, as long as it was secure.

My thought was, for people who just want to be able to run the admin area semi-securely without SSL, perhaps you could use a challenge-response system to authenticate the admin area instead of passing a plaintext password? I suppose another option would be to use AuthDigest authentication on the whole admin directory. Would that secure everything that needs to be secured as far as being able to change store settings and data, etc?

-Joe

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: encrypt admin password

You can't encrypt it browser-side before sending. You'll need SSL to do that.

If you wanted to custom-code a challenge-response system, you're welcome to do so. The /admin/login.php file is where you'd do it.

Some folks double protect the folder via .htaccess. However, this again is not encrypted unless the area is secured via SSL.

At $18 I'm not sure why SSL would be much of a problem ... esp since most hosts offer shared SSL for no cost. Shared SSL doesn't make the URL pretty, but as you said, it's functionality you're after.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Perhaps a shared SSL certificate would be the way to go. Although, for me it would be easier to set up htaccess.

.htaccess would be encrypted if it was using digest authentication with a browser that supports it (which the newest Firefox and IE both do). It wouldn't encrypt the information being sent back and forth, but at least the authentication would be encrypted (not the admin login, but that login would just be a red herring then). I'm just wondering if adding that to the admin directory would be enough to secure the store management side. It seems to me that it might... but is there anything malicious that could be done using HTTP to access files that are anywhere other than inside the admin directory?

Plugin Contributions

You are going to be running an ecommerce site and the Admin is not your only worry - you need SSL, either shared or dedicated for the CATALOG. You customers will be inputting their private information in during the checkout and it should be protected.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.