Plugin Contributions

Default How do I cancel and refund a customer order

I have been browsing this forum to find out how to cancel and refund a customer order which was paid using PayPal. I can see many people referring to details in the process but can't see exactly what buttons to press in the admin to make this happen in the first place.

I would have expected to be able to change the status in the ADMIN/CUSTOMERS/ORDERS but niether 'cancel' nor 'refund' seem to be available from the drop-down menu.

So, presently I bypass Zen-Cart when I want to do this, I just directly refund the client through the PayPal account. But I would like to be able to change the staus of the orders in Zen-Cart to keep its data correct ... but ...

Now the mystery seems to be that the clients to whom I have made refunds using PayPal seem to be listed as 'refunded' in the Zen-Cart; how did it know?

Confused...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I cancel and refund a customer order

PayPal communicates with your store via the IPN mechanism. You are doing it correctly by initiating the refunds through your Pay Pal login.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

kiddo is right. The IPN will update the status when PayPal notifies your store of the change.

Additionally, if you're using v1.3.7 or newer, there are refund options directly on the admin order page if your customer has paid with PayPal.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I feel really silly, but can you point me more specifically?

I am on 1.3.7.

The purchase was with Paypal.

I have hunted high and low and don't see a refund option from within the admin.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

You can add your own Order Status' so that Zencart shows the order has been refunded.

Admin>Localization>Order Status>Insert
    Add something like "Refunded" or "Cancelled"

You will still need to initiate a refund from the PayPal website though. There is no option in Zencart to initiate the refund.

Plugin Contributions

I added an oder status called cancelled and updated the status of that order.

I processed the refund via Paypal and I can see the refund posted in the ZC database.

But the admin page is still showing the sale and the order totals report still shows the sale.

How do I get the refund, which is properly reflected in the database, to reflect on the various administrative screens?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by glwm View Post
    I added an oder status called cancelled and updated the status of that order.

I processed the refund via Paypal and I can see the refund posted in the ZC database.

But the admin page is still showing the sale and the order totals report still shows the sale.

How do I get the refund, which is properly reflected in the database, to reflect on the various administrative screens?
    Unless you want to do a myriad of programming changes, or meddle with raw database data, you'll have to delete the order to have it excluded from the reports/stats.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.