Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

red flag Would Love To Use Zen Cart

If it were compatible with my programs. I can't figure out how to install it on my Google Website. I can't use FTP.....

Windows XP, IE6, Google Apps, Google Checkout

www.fitnessbymarilyn.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Would Love To Use Zen Cart

Is a Google Website a program that is hosted by Google? Or something that depends on your pc? Your pc's operating system and browser have nothing to do with a remotely hosted site.

All the necessary FTP and editing programs can be installed on your pc; but if you are trying to shoehorn a new shopping cart into an existing functional Google website, it can't happen. Zen Cart will become your website.

You need to make a new database for the Zen Cart site, and FTP the ZC files to the server (not into the Google site). If your host does not allow that, it is not able to handle a real e-commerce program and you need to find a new host.

Plugin Contributions

I am using Windows XP, IE6, Google Apps (Page Creator), Google Checkout. Yes it is hosted by Google and my registrar is Go Daddy......

www.fitnessbymarilyn.com

Plugin Contributions

From the Google Page Creator Help pages:

Can I use FTP to publish?

No, we don’t offer FTP at this time..

Does Page Creator support CSS?

Currently, Google Page Creator isn't fully compatible with CSS.
    I haven't even checked if mySQL databases can be created, or if php is supported, but I have a sneaky feeling you're on a hiding to nothing.

One solution might be to link to another host that does meet the requirements.

One option would be **edited*** where my Zen Cart has been running for a few months. There only requirement is that you regularly contribute to their forum but it only takes a post or two a day so it's hardly onerous. Besides - they seem a good crowd! You can find them at **edited***

I'm sure there'll be other options that others can advise you on.
    Last edited by Kim; 1 Sep 2007 at 06:32 PM.
    We're now settled in at our final home - http://www.swiftbooks.co.uk - where you'll find an eclectic collection of used books. Still a lot of work to do, though!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GSIS View Post
    From the Google Page Creator Help pages:

I haven't even checked if mySQL databases can be created, or if php is supported, but I have a sneaky feeling you're on a hiding to nothing.

One solution might be to link to another host that does meet the requirements.

One option would be**edited*** where my Zen Cart has been running for a few months. There only requirement is that you regularly contribute to their forum but it only takes a post or two a day so it's hardly onerous. Besides - they seem a good crowd! You can find them at **edited***

I'm sure there'll be other options that others can advise you on.

Gee thanks! I will check out this recommend. Strange as they promote Zen Cart for Google Checkout on their sites. Google is wonderful but very slow sometimes setting up their features. I think they are spreading themselves too thin now.....
    www.fitnessbymarilyn.com
    Last edited by Kim; 1 Sep 2007 at 06:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You will find a number of good hosting recommendations by following the "hosting" link at the top of this page.

It's not wise to run an ecommerce site from a "free" hosting service, for a number of reasons, including reliability issues, loading issues, credibility, search engine rankings, and more.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

At first glance I'd say their Google Pages development is geared towards people who just want a quick and easy set-up. I'd expect to see Google offer some sort of proprietary shopping cart

While Zen Cart can be fairly straightforward (if you don't want to customise anything) it's far from that if you want to make it much more than it already is, tinker with templates, add new product types etc. - especially if you're not familiar with php and mySQL.

Here's a worrying quote from Google Pages Help:

"Exceeded bandwidth limit" basically refers to how much traffic your site can get during a given time. While we do have a limit set on it, we are not at liberty to disclose the amount at this time. (my emphasis)
    That, to me, means it's probably very low.

***edited*** will give you 10GB monthly - I use about 75MB just ftping a weekly back-up of my site to my PC. Another free host I found gives just 100MB before shutting down the site ...
    Last edited by Kim; 1 Sep 2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Please do not continue to recommend a specific hosting service.
    We're now settled in at our final home - http://www.swiftbooks.co.uk - where you'll find an eclectic collection of used books. Still a lot of work to do, though!

Plugin Contributions

GS

unless you are changing your files weekly then you are wasting bandwidth downloading a copy every week,

a simple DB backup would be a much better approach
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    GS
    a simple DB backup would be a much better approach
    One size fits all?

For the moment I'd rather not fiddle about with incremental or sequential backups. Life's a lot easier (to do the backup and to do either a full or partial restore) if I just do a full backup of the whole site then download it to my PC.

The back-up itself only takes a few minutes. The download time is irrelevant as long as I get it somewhere secure.

Once the system's properly settled in and I'm not making so many changes I'll look more closely at changing my backup strategy when it becomes an issue.

@ DrByte

It's not wise to run an ecommerce site from a "free" hosting service, for a number of reasons
    Is it wise to use a 'free' shopping cart - for the same reasons? Or should I get myself a paid-for one for the reliability and credibility?

I rather suspect most customers don't know and wouldn't care if they did.

Besides, using a free host (which has no advertising other than any I choose to add myself - from which I get the PPC revenue) is an ideal way to get through the learning curve and build the business before committing to any long term hosting agreement and expense.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GSIS View Post
    Is it wise to use a 'free' shopping cart - for the same reasons? Or should I get myself a paid-for one for the reliability and credibility?

I rather suspect most customers don't know and wouldn't care if they did.

Besides, using a free host (which has no advertising other than any I choose to add myself - from which I get the PPC revenue) is an ideal way to get through the learning curve and build the business before committing to any long term hosting agreement and expense.
    No need to take the comment personally.

I was referring to credibility attributed by things like Google's algorithms which evaluate who you're hosted with, what server you're on, who else is on that server, the types of content served by others on that server, and so on. While you're busy "building your business", Google is busy building a history and profile on you. Might be good to get moved into your "home" when you're ready to "launch".

Anyway, you're free to do as you like, especially during a learning curve. Just keep in mind that there's more involved in choosing a host than just the price paid per month.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast