Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

image problem How to select existing product images on server?

Situation:
    Customer has an existing website using OSCommerce and wishes to change to ZenCart.
    ZenCart v1.3.7 has been installed on a development server and the product descriptions (html) have been copied and pasted into ZenCart product info pages.

Problem:
    How do we efficiently select product images for each product page without going through the tedious process of downloading each image individually from the admin product page editing screen, previewing and saving?
    We had hoped to simply ftp all the images to the /images folder or a subfolder of /images and then go through the various products and select the appropriate image. However, we find we cannot select an existing image from the server. We have also attempted to manually enter the filename of the image however in doing so the Preview button becomes inactive. Instead we must download through our local pc.

This issue was mentioned some time ago by someone else before ZenCart version 1.3.7 and was answered this way:
    "If you already have the images loaded, you should be able to enter the name and click on the (sic) No do not Overwrite Existing Files"
    We have ZC v1.3.7 installed and this method simply does not work. If we attempt to enter anything in the Products Image box without using the browse button to find the image locally, then the Preview button goes dead and we cannot save the change.

Since this new website involves literally hundreds of product pages and images we are hoping there is a better way.

Hopefully a new version will include a means to select existing images off the server.

Any advice on how make use of a bulk ftp upload of images to the /images folder and then select those images would be appreciated.

Ron
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to select existing product images on server?

Ron,

If you FTP all the images into the images folder in your Zen install then you can insert those images from the product page without the browsing and uploading the image.

Below the box to browse and upload you'll see:
    -->Or, select an existing image file from server, filename:
    Type the image filename inclucing the extension in that box and it will put that image with the product. If you have multiple directories that you have uploaded the images to (in the images folder) you can set that also by using the directory name with the image name like this: dirname/imagename.jpg in that box.

If you're using multiple product images you'll be able to attach all those at one time by naming the files correctly. That's another whole setup and you can do a search on the boards for calico_cat to see the naming convention to follow.
    Ted
    Never say never, it's only a matter of time, energy and asking the right person the right question!

Plugin Contributions

Consider installing EZpopulate - that will help with mass uploading of data, including image paths.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Ted:

Thanks for the reply. For some reason that selection does not appear on my product editing page.

I thought maybe one of the contributions I have installed may have been based on an old file so I compared what is on the server with the original admin/product.php file using WinMerge and they were identical. My ZenCart was installed using zen-cart-v1.3.7.1-full-patched-07052007.

Can you think of any reason why the selection below the box to browse and upload that reads:
    -->Or, select an existing image file from server, filename:
    does not appear on my ZenCart installation?

I checked through the admin menus to see if there is an option to show or not show this but didn't find anything. It's still possible there is such an option to show or not show and I didn't find it.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

RYK re: Post 3

Thanks for the tip. I will take a look.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

Anyone got any ideas why I don't have the option to select existing images on the server (see earlier in this thread). I'm told it should appear on the product info editing screen and the prompt is supposed to read: Or, select an existing image file from server, filename:

I compared what is on the server with the original admin/product.php file and there are no changes/modifications to the file. My installation uses the download zen-cart-v1.3.7.1-full-patched-07052007.

I need this option but cannot find how to display the prompt.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

You should find that on all of the images in the admin except the attributes image ... as I sorta forgot one ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ronlee67 View Post
    I compared what is on the server with the original admin/product.php file and there are no changes/modifications to the file.
    Try all the files in /admin/includes/modules/product

If you have a contribution installed that uses old code for one or more of those files, you'll be missing pieces of functionality.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr Byte re post #8,

Thank you for your on target advice.

The problem was in admin/includes/modules/product/collect_info.php and preview_info.php files. This was due to the "Short Description" contribution replacing these files. The modifications for the contribution were made on an older version of these files.

I have selected the relevant code in the ZenCart installation files, placed it into the respective files in the "Short Description V1.1" contribution, named it "Short Description update v1.1a" for ZenCart v1.3.7 and uploaded it in the downloads area.

The ability to select existing image files from the server has been restablished when the "Short Description" contribution is installed.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

I also had the

"Or, select an existing image file from server, filename: "

option disappear from my categories/products edit page. This happend on version 1.3.8 after installing dual pricing v2 and easy populate (1.2.5.4).

The fix was just as stated above. both files...admin/includes/modules/product/preview_info.php and product_info.php had to be fixed.

I had copies of these files from another installation that was working, so I used those.

Thank you for the clue as to where to look. Hopefully this will help someone else too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast