Plugin Contributions

Default xampp installation problems "cannot load MySQL extension"

I purchased the estart your web store with zen cart and have tried to setup a server on my windows xp computer. I could not get xampp to start using the instructions in the book so I uninstalled and used the instructions in this thread for release 1.6.0a it installed fine. I configured the www.example.com and mercury mail as per e-start no problem. When I try to create a database to install zencart I get an error message phpmysql not found. The console shows mysql running and the phpmysql is a component of xampp. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: xampp installation problems

Quote Originally Posted by VernW View Post
    I purchased the estart your web store with zen cart and have tried to setup a server on my windows xp computer. I could not get xampp to start using the instructions in the book so I uninstalled and used the instructions in this thread for release 1.6.0a it installed fine. I configured the www.example.com and mercury mail as per e-start no problem. When I try to create a database to install zencart I get an error message phpmysql not found. The console shows mysql running and the phpmysql is a component of xampp. Any ideas where I went wrong?
    here is the error message I'm getting:
    "cannot load MySQL extension, please check PHP Configuration".
    "To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed."

Plugin Contributions

here is the error message I'm getting:
    "cannot load MySQL extension, please check PHP Configuration".
    "To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed."
    Hi Vern,

I'm not sure this is going to be the solution, but you may need to make a change to your PHP.INI file to have it call the MySQL extensions. I don't know where it will be in your installation... I use XAMPP locally and for me it is located in [path to xampp]\apache\bin\php.ini. (Tip: In XAMPP it notes that support for MySQL "is now built in, so no dll is needed for it.")

Anyway, in that file locate the extensions section and remove the * at the beginning of the line "extension=php_mysql.dll" (it shouldn't have any quotes).

Shut the whole shebang down if you had it running, then turn it all back on to load the extensions in php.ini.

If that doesn't do it, you might want to post more info here on your operating system and what you've installed etc. It's too bad XAMPP didn't work for you, it's usually an easy install in my experience and saves a world of hurt. :-)

Cheers,

Becky

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by webomat View Post
    Hi Vern,

I'm not sure this is going to be the solution, but you may need to make a change to your PHP.INI file to have it call the MySQL extensions. I don't know where it will be in your installation... I use XAMPP locally and for me it is located in [path to xampp]\apache\bin\php.ini. (Tip: In XAMPP it notes that support for MySQL "is now built in, so no dll is needed for it.")

Anyway, in that file locate the extensions section and remove the * at the beginning of the line "extension=php_mysql.dll" (it shouldn't have any quotes).

Shut the whole shebang down if you had it running, then turn it all back on to load the extensions in php.ini.

If that doesn't do it, you might want to post more info here on your operating system and what you've installed etc. It's too bad XAMPP didn't work for you, it's usually an easy install in my experience and saves a world of hurt. :-)

Cheers,

Becky
    Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. I looked in [path to xampp]\apache\bin\php.ini. and the "extension=php_mysql" is active and the file php_mysql is present in the \ext folder as well. I would really like to be able to install zen locally on this computer, (my most advanced relic) for development. I guess I'll try on a different computer.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    Thank you for the reply. I looked in [path to xampp]\apache\bin\php.ini. and the "extension=php_mysql" is active and the file php_mysql is present in the \ext folder as well. I would really like to be able to install zen locally on this computer, (my most advanced relic) for development. I guess I'll try on a different computer.
    Works fine on the compaq laptop. guess I'll upgrade the memory and work with it.

Plugin Contributions

This is the only way to get rid of the XAMPP message after a fresh install "Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation." All the post are incorrect in saying you have to remove the ";" from the php_mysql extension. By default on a XAMPP install those extension are enabled in the php.ini file. I have ran into this on every XAMPP installation I used. The fix is upgrading the version of PHP. I renamed the php folder under XAMPP php_old, downloaded PHP 5.x.x but did not install. Don't use the .exe use just the files and then copied them over to the XAMPP installation. For some reason the XAMPP package is having trouble with the version 4 of PHP. Good luck.