Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Canadian taxes showing possible?

Well I have switched to using oscommerce for one reason Canadian taxes can be implemented and shown properly using a contribution. However I find zen-cart a bit easier especially with the ez-pages controls . For the fun of it I tried loading the ot_tax from os into zen needless to say it didn't work. Has anyone here good with coding attempted to modify the code in zen's ot_tax to show taxes separately when needed?

Anyway I am playing with some code that does work in os...trying to port it to zen
    here is one error I cant figure out...

Fatal error: Call to a member function Execute() on a non-object in D:\shop\includes\modules\order_total\ot_tax.php on line 75

what is happening?
    Thanks
    Chris.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canadian taxes showing possible?

That error looks like its the only thing stopping it from working...
    all the tax zones and rates show up just like they do in os and in the right order I have both carts loaded on to my local host for comparison and learning. So I assume once this error is corrected its possible that zen might have Canadian taxes shown separately.

Plugin Contributions

Still have that error...only shows in admin

but the modifications work!! I have tested it with store based in Ont selling to someone in Ont....it adds shipping and GST and PST properly including the proper amount onto the shipping and all this shown on separate lines.

Store based in Ont. selling to N.B adds shipping and GST only, including the GST amount on the shipping.

So far it works great in the testing minus that little bug I cant squash. I have uploaded it to so hopefully in a couple of days others can download it and let more testing begin.

and here is a couple of images of the test invoices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invoice GST onlyresize.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	2661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invoice_GST_PSTresize.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	2662  

Plugin Contributions

some of you might be saying that I loaded this on my local server and that maybe why it works, Well here was another test run done today with the code on a fresh install on a remote server. After the install I deleted the Florida tax rate and zone etc.
    then I ftped the updated ot_tax.php.. same thing, same error under admin. however when I went over to tax rates/zones there was nothing there this time! (another bug?) I just manually entered the zones and tax information this time. set the one product for new tax rates.... and it worked great!. As long as the updated code is in zen it works even tho it doesn't show that its there.
    Now the one thing that seems important during install when zen askes for a prefix for the database tables...such as zen. (thats what I used), is to do so.

Now that zen does what I want. I am probably going to stick with it.
    anyone wants to check it working. try it out, create accounts with addresses in Ontario, or other Canadian provinces and one U.S account (no tax)

http://www.christoph.freehyperspace.com/shop
    Take a look, another test invoice from fresh install on a remote server.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If the code is working for you on your site, feel free to use it.

However, it has been rejected as a contribution because it is destructive (deletes *all* tax and zone configurations, regardless of their use) and ignores built-in Zen Cart zone and tax calculation features. In its current state it is way too dangerous to be made available to shopowners who don't have a solid understanding of the risks of using it as well as PHP programming in general.

You seem to be content that it is meeting your needs. As such, I won't recommend that you stop using it. However, take note that you will not be able to use Zen Cart's built-in zones features for anything, including taxes, shipping/payment mod restrictions, address restrictions, etc.

We do not mean to discourage your contribution efforts. Please understand that it has been rejected specifically for the reasons stated.

If it's any consolation, the v1.4 release will most likely contain the ability you're looking for by the time it is released next year.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yes I just found out what the code does to the rest of zencart...once its in there you can't install or take out anything under moduels/ordertotal. Everything else seems to work tho. I understand why its rejected but please feel free to make the code available to those who know code to perhaps correct the problems with it.
    Actually I have another version of the code that does not overwrite the tax zones,rates etc. perhaps I should try to recode that one. There is a chance it might work with out destruction of files and formating.
    It was my first time attempting to recode something like this and was a learning experience.

Thanks for considering it.
    Chris.

Plugin Contributions

Well its done the code has been corrected it now can calculate GST/PST/HST with out causing errors to zen cart. allows full function of zen, can remove/add the regular zones/moduels with out any difficulty through admin.

Chris.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Chris,

I am super interested in your work. I am just building out my store, and most sales will be in Canada I expect. Do you think it is ready for primetime?

Thanks for the effort,

Todd

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the confidence it not really my work I just converted it to zencart...yes its working fine now. I have eliminated all errors.
    I can remove the module or add it at my discretion, plus it allows me to remove add modules with out error in the order total admin.(it used to error) However it still is destructive it changes your ot_tax.php it overwrites the information in there. but its fairly simple enough to re-enter tax zones etc. Mine is set up with GST/PST/HST capability as well as no tax for the U.S.
    I offered the work here as a contribution but its turned down cause it over writes all tax info in Ot_tax.php. and like was stated to me..I wont be troubleshooting anyones installs with this code. I had to learn abit of the basics of php to get this to work.
    I will gladly offer the corrected version providing I am not held responsible for any damages it could cause from mis setup.
    I will leave it up to you guys if its wanted...you will have to approach the moderators to allow this code to be shared.

Chris.

Plugin Contributions

Hehehe... I guess that's what backups are for right?

How about it, moderator? How do I get a copy of Chris' work to test?

Chris, alternatively, you could go to: http://www.pccapital.ca

and send me a zip file. But, not sure if that breaks some rules of the Zen Cart project, which none of us wants to do!

Thanks again,

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast