Plugin Contributions

Default Trying to use Attributes to set Color and Model Number simultaneously

Hi all,

My client sells products that come in different colors. I have created option values for the colors and linked them to the products. So far, so good.

My client also wants to have distinct model numbers for each product/color combination, which consist of a base number for the particular product plus a suffix indicating the selected color.

Zen Cart handles Price and Weight properties on a per Option Value basis; can it also handle Model Number properties with too much fuss?

Any thoughts from the experts on how to do this? Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to use Attributes to set Color and Model Number simultaneously

Sorry that is not a feature of Zen Cart at this time. Stock by attributes and attributes SKU is coming in v1.4.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to use Attributes to set Color and Model Number simultaneously

Is there a target release date for 1.4?

Plugin Contributions

Stephen,

what type of products does u'r customer sell?
    Patt

My client sells products that come in different colors. I have created option values for the colors and linked them to the products. So far, so good.

My client also wants to have distinct model numbers for each product/color combination, which consist of a base number for the particular product plus a suffix indicating the selected color.

Zen Cart handles Price and Weight properties on a per Option Value basis; can it also handle Model Number properties with too much fuss?

Any thoughts from the experts on how to do this? Thanks in advance,

Stephen[/QUOTE]

Plugin Contributions

Hi Patt,

My client sells artificial plants and flowers. Some of their products come in different colors and sizes, and they would prefer to have distinct part numbers for these variations. Any suggestions?

Plugin Contributions

Hi there,

I'm also looking for a solution to the problem of different model numbers for attributes. Has anyone found a solution, or does anyone have information on when v1.4 is being released.

Thanks,
    Fergus

Plugin Contributions

It's a bit of extra work; however I solved this by creating attributes that are specific to a group of products and added the item number within the attribute Value. Example: Attribute Name: Ribbon Color Attribute Values: 2258 - Blue, 2259 - White etc. This is working great for my customer as when an order arrives she has the item number right there on the invoice and does not have to refer back to her list. We have a huge number of items with various ttributes so it was big job getting it done, but worth it for big picture.

To save you time, you can setup your attributes by working directly with the database, if you have the skills to do that. It saves a huge amount of time and it really isn't hard (just be sure to Backup!! Backup!! before modifying your db).

Also Easy Populate advanced can be helpful (a bit confusing) but helpful adding your attributes to your products.

Hope that gives you some ideas until 1.4 arrives.

Plugin Contributions

The problem gets much more complex when there are multiple attributes that affect the model number -- say color and size. You have to list every option (blue, small, # 1111), etc., and then have to maintain all that. I have a client with one product that has 4 colors, 6 sizes, and three leg lengths (it is a barefoot suit). So, 72 total options. I wanted to make the user sees the three choices, not have to look through 72.

Of course, maybe you have three option names, but only two affect the model number -- gets tricky.

So, I developed a custom solution that works terrific, but requires a custom front end for setting the model numbers based on the option combinations. Then, it looks up the model number on the order checkout side.

Brad Scott
    ClermontSoftware.com

Plugin Contributions

bump on target release date for 1.4? Desperately need attribute model numbers for many stores.

Plugin Contributions

There won't be a version 1.4. Version 2.0 (which will contain model number by attribute) is on the way, but no date yet.

You can subscribe here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

to get release announcement emails.