Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default I want to disable Paypal Express for Some Sales

I just installed the Paypal Express Module. All seems to be working great. But I have a couple questions.

I'm in a high fraud business (Telephone). We sell both Installations of equipment and 'virtual' products such as prepaid calling credit (Airtime).

Paypal does not offer seller protection for sales to some countries. Therefore I do not want to accept Paypal payments for virtual items like airtime/calling credit. But will gladly accept payment from companies and individuals requesting other non virtual items such as equipment installations.

This way we then know exactly who were dealing with and therefore reduce our chances of being ripped off by the client.

Is it possible to restrict Paypal express payments from customers buying only 'virtual' products?

If the answer is yes.. please tell me how I can do this....

If it can't be done I would like to: Make a note above the big yellow "Checkout with Paypal" Logo that is on my shopping cart informing customers that:

"Paypal Payments are only accepted for physical installation services and for payment on existing commercial accounts. All other customers please click the "Go to Checkout' button and select another payment option"

And add another note as well to the payment options page.

On my checkout page I have Moneybookers (no charge backs) and I also accept direct bank payments.

Restricting PP to product types would be great.. but if its not possible please tell me how I can add a note above the PP logo.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Last edited by rich_li_ny; 22 Oct 2007 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I want to disable Paypal Express for Some Sales

Quote Originally Posted by rich_li_ny View Post
    Is it possible to restrict Paypal express payments from customers buying only 'virtual' products?
    How exactly would one determine whether all the products in the cart are 'virtual' or not?
    ie: what distinguishes these "virtual" products from the others on your site?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

For Example:

One Product is an actual inventory item. In this case an ATA (Like Vonage).

Another product is Calling Credit/Airtime (Calling credit or prepaid vouches like Trac Phone in the USA or MTN - Vodacom in Europe) and is entered into Zen Cart as a Virtual product.

Our concern is the Airtime and not allowing PP Express when a customer chooses to only purchase Airtime / Calling credit.

If it's not possible to do that I would like to make a note above the Paypal express button informing customers that they must choose another payment option if only purchasing these virtual Items.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Let me rephrase. Yes, the module can be disabled, to some degree.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll ask again ... is there a *clear* way to quickly identify whether everything in the cart is allowed to be paid-for by PayPal according to your needs?
    ie: are *all* these so-called "virtual" marked as "virtual" in Zen Cart? and *all* non-virtual products are NOT marked "virtual" in Zen Cart?
    And, if they're "virtual" in Zen Cart, are they downloads? or are they delivered to customers in some other kind of manner?
    Is there any other distinguishing characteristic of these products (according to how you've configured them in Zen Cart) that can be used to determine elegibility.

I'm trying to get you to identify ways to determine whether to disable the module based on things other than the product number, etc.

The challenge is in dealing with a cart containing "both" kinds of items. I assume you'd disable PayPal for the entire order in this case.

If you prefer just to add your additional wording, you can modify the /includes/modules/payment/paypal/tpl_ec_default.php file and add it where you like.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Let me rephrase. Yes, the module can be disabled, to some degree.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll ask again ... is there a *clear* way to quickly identify whether everything in the cart is allowed to be paid-for by PayPal according to your needs?

ie: are *all* these so-called "virtual" marked as "virtual" in Zen Cart?
    Yes... the virtual item is marked as Virtual.

and *all* non-virtual products are NOT marked "virtual" in Zen Cart?
    Yes they are.

And, if they're "virtual" in Zen Cart, are they downloads? or are they delivered to customers in some other kind of manner?
    They are delivered via email.

Is there any other distinguishing characteristic of these products (according to how you've configured them in Zen Cart) that can be used to determine elegibility.
    The one thing that is different about the virtual product is the product number.
    There is only 1 virtual product. With options for different value amounts.
    So maybe it can be narrowed down to an item number like Category 1 Subcategory 2??

The challenge is in dealing with a cart containing "both" kinds of items. I assume you'd disable PayPal for the entire order in this case.
    Yes.. if that was the only option.

If you prefer just to add your additional wording, you can modify the /includes/modules/payment/paypal/tpl_ec_default.php file and add it where you like.
    Cool.. I'll do that part of it now :)

Thanks for the reply
    Rich

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Only 1 product is virtual?

So, you're asking if it's possible to disable the PayPal Express Checkout option if one certain product ID is in the cart?

Plugin Contributions

Yes.. that is exactly what i am asking.

It may seem strange to some. But I have very good reason for Not allowing paypal for one or two particular transactions. I sell installations and service. On an installation.. I know my customer, get copies of ID, get contracts signed etc.. In this case paypal is fine.

On sales for just services I get paid by someone on the net who often times buys a virtual product.. (Prepaid Airtime).

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE VIRTUAL PRODUCT I SELL:
    Just Think of Tracfone or Boost Mobile in the USA (They sell airtime vouchers at 7-11). Or MTN, Vodacom, Cell C or Orange Prepaid a/k/a "Pay as you Go".

Its basically I sell PIN Numbers

Whether it be prepaid cell phone airtime or a similar Virtual product. I simply don't want to accept Paypal for this. The reason is.. there is ZERO Paypal seller protection in a couple of the countries I sell to.

So yes.. I only want to block PP Express payments on Prepaid airtime or
    On orders where only Prepaid airtime. or On Orders of Prepaid Airtime where the customer isn't an established existing customer.

Either way works for me.. as long as I can block paypal express on virtural items or block it by a particular item number. :)

Thanks ~

Riche

Plugin Contributions

If you look in the:
    /includes/classes/shopping_cart.php

There is a function for checking the content of a given field in the shopping cart:
    PHP Code:
       Method to calculate the number of items in a cart based on an abitrary property

$check_what is the fieldname example'products_is_free'

$check_value is the value being tested for - default is 1

Syntax$_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('product_is_free','1');
       * @
    param string product field to check

* @param mixed value to check for
       * @return 
    integer number of items matching restraint

*/
      function 
    in_cart_check($check_what$check_value='1') { 
    You could use this to test how many products_virtual = 1 are in the cart ...

This can then be used to control the $this->enabled of any of the modules to show or hide them ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Linda..

I'm playing with it now :)

Rich

Plugin Contributions

Wow.... I took a look at the files and it's like totally out of my league.

I think an easier solution would be to not display show Paypal Express on
    index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

and

Add a note below the PP payment option on
    index.php?main_page=checkout_payment stating:

"PayPal payment is only accepted for Professional Installations and from existing business customers. For all other purchases please choose one of the other payment options above."

----------------------------------
    Ive already added to Note on the Split Login page..
    but I have no clue how to disable the Paypal Express button from displaying on the
    index.php?main_page=shopping_cart page.

Any ideas how I can do this??

Doing this would solve the problem I'm having. As I would still be able use Paypal Express checkout, my customers will know the PP Express is only for certain items (reducing my risk of fraud) and everything else will continue to work smoothly.

Of course a customer could could still choose to completely ignore this and use PP express anyway.. In which case I would not process the order and simply refund any monies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast