Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Wrong non-english characters in names/addresses when using paypal express

Whenever I get orders from places where accented letters are used, they always show up with wrong characters in ZenCart.

When I check the transactions in my paypal account they show up fine.
    For example:
    The last name Sérudé shows up as Sérudé

Another example:
    Zürich shows up as Zürich

What causes this and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Wrong non-english characters in names/addresses when using paypal express

I can't reproduce this problem. é and ë come through fine ... showing correctly in customer's My Account area and in ZC Admin area.

What languages are installed in your site?
    What collation-type is your database using?
    What CHARSET are you using?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Wrong non-english characters in names/addresses when using paypal express

Hi DrByte, thanks for the reply.

I only have the default English language installed on my site.

When I log in to phpMyAdmin, I see I have this:

MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
    MySQL collation connection: utf8_unicode_ci

Should I change any of this?

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to drag this topic up but I couldn't find any other similar threads.

I have a similar problem to tj1. I have the same settings:
    MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
    MySQL collation connection: utf8_unicode_ci

Within the database, Collation = latin1_swedish_ci

Version 1.3.8a by the way. And the Euro currency symbol is processed as a ? in emails if that's relevant to this.

The last time this happened was when someone used Express Checkout which automatically created their account.
    I've manually created an account and used special characters (ë etc) which are fine.

I searched for the à symbol in the database and it only occurs in customer related tables (address book, orders, paypal etc). So not in tables where special characters were insert manually--like product description.

tj1 / DrByte -- do you think it's related to the Paypal Express automatic account creation? Is a fix possible?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Bringing back this old thread because I'm having the same problem, and it looks like it was never answered.

When customer accounts are created by hand (for credit card payments), special international characters in their addresses show just fine. However, characters coming from PayPal Express orders are broken.

For example, in an address:

av de la République

Strangely, sometimes the characters work in the shipping address, but not the billing, or vice versa. For instance, on one order, I see this in the shipping address:

Jean Jaurès

and this in the billing address:

Jean-Jaurès

When I look at the database itself through PHPMyAdmin the bad characters are in there.

Is there any way to get these characters to translate correctly when PayPal sends them back to Zen Cart?

Plugin Contributions

Hi aeolidia

I can tell you I have not fixed this problem. At this time I look at the Paypal email to get the address or hope the custom has edited the address during checkout.

I can only think it's to do with how Paypal sends the custom data to our database, you will see my post above with UTF-8 and latin1_swedish_ci.
    Would running PHP4 or PHP5 return different results?

Strangely, sometimes the characters work in the shipping address, but not the billing, or vice versa.
    I have this too, but I think it's because the customer edits it during checkout. Unless you've talked to them and they've told you different?

Hopefully we can get some more thoughts on this. Anyone had this trouble and solved it?

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

same problem here.

äöüß are translated to not readable symbols.

I think the data from Paypal has to be decoded, but from what to what ? UFT8->ISO ?

I hope we will find a solution for this...

Bye,
    Ingo

Plugin Contributions

I have same issue Zen Cart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    I have been in touch with Paypal on this and their only suggestion is to log on to Paypal, Profile and then change Language Encoding.

This - however - does not solve the problem.

The problem seems to be that Paypal posts the customer information back in the encoding set in Paypal (e.g. utf-8) but no matter what Zencart CHARSET is defined, the result is the same. My site (www.4evershop.com/shop) supports Danish, German and English - and no matter what language I have chosen, the result from Paypal is the same. It even changes the delivery country to United States, which is not what Paypal posts.

Has anybody solved this - 3 year old - problem with Paypal Express and Zencart?

Hoping very much for an answer.

Jens

Plugin Contributions

No fix this end.
    I end up having to go into my emails when I see starnge characters to find the actual true symbol.

The country issue seems related mainly to russian federation. it gets sent back and changed to united states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast