Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I Make certain Customer Registration fields optional?

I'd peek at the english.php language file ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ruonan View Post
    Nevermind. I did everything Ajeh said to do and it worked. The fields are no longer required and my customers can create an account with minimal personal information. Thought i contribute by summarizing everything.
    To change the fields to blank: Go to Admin-Configurations-Minimum Values, change the settings to blank, NOT 0.
    To get raid of the * by the fields: Go to includes/languages/english.php, starting at line 180, leave the '*' in mandatory fields (defined by you) and change all others to ''.
    OK, so I tried the things mentioned above and it did not change anything, so I thought I might have the wrong language file.... hence the questions earlier. (Double checking). So I tried it again, and still no change. All I did was take out the * and left it blank '' between the quotes. I must be doing something wrong here. It is probably so simple that I will kick myself after. But I promise I double checked and still no change.

Someone please help the slow one here!

Plugin Contributions

Go to includes/languages/english.php
    Could be your current template has its own language file
    i.e.
    /includes/languages/nameofyourtemplate/english.php

Plugin Contributions

i know this discussion is a bit old, but didnt see the point in starting a new tread when one already exists.

The only details I need is name and email address.

I can get rid of all the fields for customer details, but Im still left with Billing Address showing on the login/signup page "index.php?main_page=login". I dont want my buyers to have to enter a billing address as products are virtual and paypal sorts out the billing bit.

I have installed Fast and Easy Checkout if thats any help.

Cheers.

PS: Sorry no link as site is on local server for testing

Plugin Contributions

STREAMLINED LOGIN PROCESS (First Name, Last Name, Country and Email)

Having tried a few of the methods mentioned in this thread I have finally managed to sort the problem out (for my needs anyway). Some of the methodology explained previously really messed up my ADMIN side of the store. ADMIN - CUSTOMERS stated at least four "array" errors and would not update the CUSTOMER edit functions (everything was blank). The same method also caused major problems in the SQL database as it was not passed the correct information.

Caution - I am no CSS / PHP guru and the following is used at your own discretion and at your own risk. Alwyas create your own template file and edit that one, NOT the original supplied with ZEN (that way yoou can roll back if it doesn't work - I have learnt this the very hard way!!).

Due to the various array problems I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to live with First Name, Last Name, Country and Email. Ideally I would have liked to have binned the Country element but haven't managed it without the mess.

Previous posts asked for a step by step process...

So, for what it's worth, here goes............

STEP 1 - In Admin control panel, Configuration, Customer Details;
    Set Email salutation, DoB, Company, Address Line 2, State, Fax Number to false.

STEP 2 - In Admin control panel, Configuration, Minimum Values;
    Set Nick Name, Date of Birth, Street Address, Company, Post Code, City, State, Telephone Number to blank.
    NB - To blank, not to zero!

STEP 3 - Your_store_folder/includes/languages/your_template/english.php

a) define('ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_TEXT', '*'); Remove * (removes the required *)

b) define('ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT', '*'); Remove * (removes the required *)

c) define('ENTRY_CITY_TEXT', '*');Remove * (removes the required *)

d) define('ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_TEXT', '*'); Remove * (removes the required *)

Step 4 - Your_store_folder/includes/templates/your_template/templates/tpl_modules_create_account.php

a) <label class="inputLabel" for="street-
    address"><?php echo ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS; ?></label>
    <?php echo zen_draw_input_field('street_address', '', zen_set_field_length(TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK, 'entry_street_address', '40') . ' id="street-address"') . (zen_not_null(ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_TEXT) ? '<span class="alert">' . ENTRY_STREET_ADDRESS_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    Commented out (<!--....-->) (removes Street Address Field)

b) <label class="inputLabel" for="city"><?php echo ENTRY_CITY; ?></label>
    <?php echo zen_draw_input_field('city', '', zen_set_field_length(TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK, 'entry_city', '40') . ' id="city"') . (zen_not_null(ENTRY_CITY_TEXT) ? '<span class="alert">' . ENTRY_CITY_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    Commented out (<!--....-->) (removes City Field)

c) <label class="inputLabel" for="postcode"><?php echo ENTRY_POST_CODE; ?></label>
    <?php echo zen_draw_input_field('postcode', '', zen_set_field_length(TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK, 'entry_postcode', '40') . ' id="postcode"') . (zen_not_null(ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT) ? '<span class="alert">' . ENTRY_POST_CODE_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    Commented out (<!--....-->) (Removes Post Code Field)

d) <legend><?php echo TABLE_HEADING_PHONE_FAX_DETAILS; ?></legend> Commented out (<!--....-->) (Removed the phone and fax table)
    e) <label class="inputLabel" for="telephone"><?php echo ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER; ?></label>
    <?php echo zen_draw_input_field('telephone', '', zen_set_field_length(TABLE_CUSTOMERS, 'customers_telephone', '40') . ' id="telephone"') . (zen_not_null(ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_TEXT) ? '<span class="alert">' . ENTRY_TELEPHONE_NUMBER_TEXT . '</span>': ''); ?>
    Commented out (<!--....-->) (Removed Telephone Field)

Step 5 - Your_store_folder/includes/languages/english/your_template/create_account_success.php
    define('PRIMARY_ADDRESS_TITLE', 'Your Name and Country'); (Altered from Your Address just so things made a little sense on the account success page).

Not sure if there is any set order of the above but the order written is the order I did it in (checking at each stage). I have checked the ADMIN, Customer and all seems fine as does the SQL Address_book and Customer tables.

If it helps someone then it was worth it! Now I can get on with uploading all the juicy products!

Or I could of if my hosting company hadn't just (literally as I post) suspended my account due to a server overload! I must get a lot more traffic than I thought. Not bad for a shop with no products!!

When I am back up and running I will post a link to this thread so that you can check it works.

Go figure!!

You nailed it, resellrightsshop. Perfect.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kosmo99. I appreciate the feedback. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with and I will endeavour to add some sanity to a confusing world!

Quote Originally Posted by resellrightsshop View Post
    Thanks Kosmo99. I appreciate the feedback. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with and I will endeavour to add some sanity to a confusing world!
    :)

Thanks - I think I'm in good shape. My store will just sell digital content (eBooks of my original fiction and soon audio versions of those) as well as a tip jar for the blog's writers. We don't deliver any physical items and we only accept PayPal, so I really don't care where somewhere lives! I definitely didn't want to make it more difficult than necessary for someone to create an account.

This has been a great forum to find answers to a lot of question. I installed last week with absolutely no familiarity with the product. I've spent a few hours playing around with things and should have things set up pretty much the way I like it.

Plugin Contributions

UPDATE - I have now compiled a short report (12 pages) that explains in micro-detail how to achieve the streamlined account creation process, inclusive of colour coded customised code. Its available as a shortie report from my blog.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ruonan View Post
    Nevermind. I did everything Ajeh said to do and it worked. The fields are no longer required and my customers can create an account with minimal personal information. Thought i contribute by summarizing everything.
    To change the fields to blank: Go to Admin-Configurations-Minimum Values, change the settings to blank, NOT 0.
    To get rid of the * by the fields: Go to includes/languages/english.php, starting at line 180, leave the '*' in mandatory fields (defined by you) and change all others to ''.
    To easily find all of the '*' in the file, open it in your text editor, then press ctrl+f (find command). ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU SAVE A BACKUP COPY OF THIS FILE! Otherwise you will have to change the file every time you upgrade your ZenCart(tm) store files!
    Flip Perry
    S~Scents

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast