Thread: Huh?

Plugin Contributions

Default Huh?

Ok, so I decided to take the bull by the horns and upgrade from 1.3.7 to the new 1.3.8

What i have done so that I can play, and such, is to create a new directory and install a fresh install of 1.3.8 (separate from my current zen cart that is running)

I created a new database for this new zen.

Then....i am reading the instructions and before you do the install, it is saying to change some permissions....specifically to find this file:

On the server locate the file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php

dist-configure.php????? where the heck? When i open the includes folder there are several more folders with more stuff in them. Which folder am I supposed to find this file in? Includes, yes, i got that part....but....

Same for the Admin/includes file....there are several sub files...so which one contains this elusive dist-configure.php file?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Huh?

ok, there are all green checks by each thing it told me I needed to correct...so does that mean the program corrected them?

So, now, when i do this fresh install, since it is in a new directory, it is not going to destroy my current running zen cart (which is installed under directory shopping versus this one that is installed under zen).

I am kinda scared to press that install button! LOL

Plugin Contributions

As long as you started the upgrade within the new folder, your old one shouldn't be touched.

However, didn't you backup your site?

Don't do anything else until you backup that site. you can either ftp fromt he site to your drive, which will take a while. or you can run the backup from the backend of your hosting account.

That way if something goes horribly wrong you can always copy the files back to your server or restore the backup.

Plugin Contributions

yes, of course I backed up my site :) My wording was incorrect....instead of trying to do the upgrade, which is WAYYYYYY more difficult than it sounds (least with my limited knowledge)--I decided to create a new directory and do a full install of zen 1.3.8 as a test site. I created a new database to go with the new install/new directory and the install went fine until......i restored the current zen database into the new directory (so I could play with the new) and it overwrote my newly set up admin user name and password. So....i couldnt get into my new zen upgrade/test/play with zencart.

I deleted the entire thing--new directory, new database, all of it. Maybe I will try again another day, but I gotta tell ya, if you are not a coder or have computer know how when it comes to programs, files and such, this is quite a challenge. I will live to fight another day :)

Plugin Contributions

First things first. BREATHE and don't panic.

You missed a step in the instructions - after you set up the new installation and import your old database, you then need to UPGRADE the database. Note: you will have to use your old Admin user name and password when doing the new set up-
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

ok, so let me get this straight--my mind needs to comprehend.
    If I have decided to do a full install INSTEAD of trying to do the upgrade, i would go through the installation, set up my new database, but use my currently running zen cart admin name and password on the new zen in the new directory with the new database....yes?

I am sure there are instructions somewhere as to how to upgrade the database or is that just if i was upgrading from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8? and not if I am doing a completely new install (my goal is to get the new install right and then delete the old cart since I have futzed it up pretty good :) Course my url will be different and I will have to change a few links...but I know how to do that :))

Gotta go breathe now....I really hate not knowing what I am doing.....ROFL

Plugin Contributions

If you are keeping the OLD database (it contains all of your categories and products) then you follow the upgrade procedures in the /docs/ directory.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I keep an empty paper lunch bag next my computer just for these occasions. I think it was Kim's suggestion as I recall.