Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1.3.8 version not allowing me the upgrade option!

Quote Originally Posted by ScootaMan View Post
    The upgrade wouldn't configure the files or replace them. It would only touch the database.
    That is correct. The zc_install tool *only* upgrades the database.
    Upgrading all your PHP files is your responsibility.

The "how to" is documented not only in your site's /docs/ folder, but also in the FAQs section, along with zillions of helpful how-to posts scattered all over the forum.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ScootaMan View Post
    Zen Cart 1.3.7.1
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.8
    If you use Paypal, you'll have some serious problems if you run mismatched code vs database.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If you use Paypal, you'll have some serious problems if you run mismatched code vs database.
    what does this error mean?

Warning: require(DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGESenglish/meta_tags.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sftscoot/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english.php on line 50

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGESenglish/meta_tags.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/sftscoot/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english.php on line 50

Plugin Contributions

My website is online and appears to be working. The error message is what I get when I try to access the admin panel

What file or directory am I missing?

Warning: require(DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGESenglish/meta_tags.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sftscoot/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english.php on line 50

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGESenglish/meta_tags.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/sftscoot/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english.php on line 50

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It means you've fudged your /admin/includes/configure.php file such that the defines contained in the file aren't being set properly ... probably due to a syntax error you've created by editing the file, or from an incomplete upload.

Plugin Contributions

This will be my first upgrade on Zen Cart and I'm just going to relay a comment about what I'm seeing.

I work with a number of other open source / CMS programs that also require regular security patches and upgrades.

After reading this post and the "readme_how_to_upgrade" (in the docs folder of 1.3.8)... I have to tell you... this is the most cumbersome upgrade/patch I've seen to-date. This looks like a fresh installation, not a patch.

In other open source apps, a patch is normally issued separately; containing only the affected files. With these apps, I never have to wipe out a database and reinstall it, or install a third party app to sift through, compare, and transfer over file modifications.

Upgrades are absolute necessities for security and for keeping up with browsers/changing technology. I've personally seen groups of hackers who specialize in open source apps and hit large numbers of websites in one sweep that missed the latest patch. Its easy to find these sites using a Google query.

Just my view, but what I've seen in this 1.3.8 update concerns me. It is just too cumbersome for the typical open source user (like my clients). Users become obliviously dependent on the simplicity of open source and, frankly, open source is usually packaged for these common persons...not the rest of us who work with files and code.

Thanks to all who made Zen Cart and the mods possible. Thanks, too, to Dr. Byte who has always been most helpful. Just please consider issuing upgrades as patches in the future. I think its better for the integrity of the Zen Cart in the bigger picture. Thanks

websitebob

Plugin Contributions

I finally got my site back up. My problems appeared to be from a corruption in the database. I had to do an install and overwrite the database in order to get 1.3.8 installed correctly and PayPal Express working right.

Plugin Contributions

websitebob -

Yes it seems difficult- BUT If your use the overrides correctly and not make any changes to the core files, then upgrading is as simple as uploading all the files, upgrading the database with one click and then comparing your customized files to any of them that have changed in the new version.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    websitebob -

Yes it seems difficult- BUT If your use the overrides correctly and not make any changes to the core files, then upgrading is as simple as uploading all the files, upgrading the database with one click and then comparing your customized files to any of them that have changed in the new version.

Could you give a link to a thread on how we should do overrides... and customization the approved of way?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shrimp-gumbo-mmmhhh View Post
    Could you give a link to a thread on how we should do overrides... and customization the approved of way?
    This may seem like a trite answer ... but ... there is a lot of info consolidated in the FAQ area: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12