Plugin Contributions

Default What am I doing wrong?

(stands up in Zencart anonymous meeting) Hey - my name is Shamis and I am a newbie

Seriously though, I recently installed my zencart, I've been reading over tutorials, I've purchased estart and I am still lost. Right now I'm on page 276 and I am desperately trying to customize my store. I have the custom template as default in my admin and I am trying to edit the layout (colors & text) but it's not updating.

So if someone could please be a dear and help me I would be oh so grateful.

First of all, I like the default classic comtemporary green template as far as the size but just not the color. When I went in and added my custom template - I got this http://www.shamistalib.com/zen which is full page width and all different colors. So I guess my first question is how can I get my custom template to look like the classic with a different color.

Second, I am having trouble editing the languages and css files. I've been trying to do this while in my cpanel. Does this not work? Because when I refresh my cart, my changes aren't showing up but they are changed in the file. I also tried doing it with the crimson editor but I don't know how to work the ftp and all that stuff. This is becoming discouraging.

Third, is there a way to change my file name. When I installed, it asked me to name the folder and I named it zen not at all thinking that this would end up being the link to my store and shamistalib.com/zen isn't pretty, lol. I tried just renaming the zen file in cpanel but this doesn't work.

Sorry for the long post. I hope I haven't scared anyone off. Please understand as like all newbs, most of this stuff is like french.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Where did you copy the files from for your custom template? Classic is the one
    that's selected by default, until you set up your own custom template. It appears you've copied your stylesheet from the template_default (not listed in admin).

Second, I am having trouble editing the languages and css files. I've been trying to do this while in my cpanel. Does this not work?
    No..you'll need to download a copy and edit with a text editor, and then re-upload to the proper
    custom template folder.
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

#3. Relocating files:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122

Be sure and read the related articles at the bottom of that page, also, to determine what solution is best for you.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shamis View Post
    First of all, I like the default classic comtemporary green template as far as the size but just not the color. When I went in and added my custom template - I got this http://www.shamistalib.com/zen which is full page width and all different colors. So I guess my first question is how can I get my custom template to look like the classic with a different color.
    You need to create your custom template. Pull down the css from the default template, make the changes, upload it to the custom folder (which should be at includes/templates/custom/css).

Second, I am having trouble editing the languages and css files. I've been trying to do this while in my cpanel. Does this not work? Because when I refresh my cart, my changes aren't showing up but they are changed in the file. I also tried doing it with the crimson editor but I don't know how to work the ftp and all that stuff. This is becoming discouraging.
    Actually, I've used cPanel to edit files before, though I don't do it anymore. I would think that unless the permissions set so that you can't edit the file OR you are editing the wrong file, changes you make to the files in cPanel should show up.

Third, is there a way to change my file name. When I installed, it asked me to name the folder and I named it zen not at all thinking that this would end up being the link to my store and shamistalib.com/zen isn't pretty, lol. I tried just renaming the zen file in cpanel but this doesn't work.
    If you rename the zen file without changing your configuration files, it won't work. This link might help with that.

Hope this helps at least a little!

Plugin Contributions

TShooters, looks like we posted at the same time :) .

Plugin Contributions

WTG. digidiva-kathy!
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Thanks you guys. I'm still working on it but hope to have the hang of it soon