Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Could not connect to SMTP host.

I am installing Zen Cart for the fist time.
    Am trying to pay through Paypal.
    I get up to step 3 of three (order confirmation) and after pressing the Continue butto, receive the following message
    Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host

have received an email from Paypal to my paypal account saying that payment has been received and naming me the the buyer.

I have also received an email from paypal to me, the buyer, telling me that I have paid the seller.

My email SMTP Email host in the Zen Cart Admin is mail.mebayebay################## which is where my paypal account is located.

Not sure what email is not sent or why I am getting this error.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I think that AOL is smtpauth and this is the mailing mode you should have selected and then enter the details in the other areas there
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

AOL is not my server. I am using HostMonster as the server. They say that smtp or smtpauth is OK.

Plugin Contributions

I am confused as to what my SMTP Email Mail host name should be in the Zen Cart configuration > Email options area. Is mail server and mail host the same? They seem to be used interchangeably

My web server is hostMonster and the name of the domain is MarcellesBoutique. Should the Email Mail host name be mail.Marcellesboutique.com or mail.marcelle/marcellesboutique.com.

Just to confuse things even more, I receive email from paypal at Mebayebay@aol com for quite a long time.

What is my correct smtp Email host name?
    Still wondering why the buyer gets the error message shown at the beginning of this thread.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wwwursa View Post
    Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host
    That message means that when your store attempted to send an email using SMTP mode it couldn't find/reach/connect-to the mailserver specified as your SMTP mail host.

Yes, "mail host" and "mail server" are synonymous.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi wwwursa,

Was your issued resolved? I too use Hostmonster. They have no idea how to resolve this issue. They said something must've happened after this upgrade because the emails aren't even making it to their server anymore.

I just upgraded to the latest version of Zencart. Everything worked fine before this. I've tried all transport methods but still I'm unable to send any emails. We even tried PHP and that didn't work. Just got off an hour call with my Host (hostmonster) and they checked everything to no avail. The emails aren't even reaching their logs. Yes, the emails are showing in the zencart archive but they're not making it to my host server. Is there a certain file besides functions_email.php that handles the functionality of emails? Just wondering if there's a file I can revert back to from the old version.

Here's an example of my error while using sendmail or php:
    ERROR: Failed sending email to: "" with subject: "Please confirm xxxxxx newsletter subscription" Could not instantiate mail function.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robyn
    Last edited by Robbyn7; 6 Dec 2007 at 07:09 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I am having trouble with the smtp host on 1.3.8 as well.

I set the debugging in the functions_email.php to 5, and this is the result I get. The url appears to be malformed, usually I would expect to see smtp://127.0.0.0.1 or something similar.

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server ://127.0.0.1 25: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (10060)

Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

My email settings are below, I'm running IIS6's smtp host with open relay and telneting to 127.0.0.1 25 will allow me to send a message. The email archive in zencart is empty as well.

E-Mail Transport Method smtp
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox
    SMTP Email Account Password
    SMTP Email Mail Host 127.0.0.1
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 25

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twistertires View Post
    I am having trouble with the smtp host on 1.3.8 as well.

I set the debugging in the functions_email.php to 5, and this is the result I get. The url appears to be malformed, usually I would expect to see smtp://127.0.0.0.1 or something similar.

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server ://127.0.0.1 25: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (10060)

Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

My email settings are below, I'm running IIS6's smtp host with open relay and telneting to 127.0.0.1 25 will allow me to send a message. The email archive in zencart is empty as well.

E-Mail Transport Method smtp
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox
    SMTP Email Account Password
    SMTP Email Mail Host 127.0.0.1
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 25
    twistertires,
    It shouldn't be trying to add :// to your server address unless you've attempted to configure it to use other than default protocols.
    Hack this out of your /includes/classes/class.smtp.php to bypass all support for other protocols:
    Code:
        if($this-Protocol != '') $host = $this->Protocol."://".$host;
    CORRECTION: Removing the line is unnecessary. Fixing the typo in it is the better solution. Posted here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82570
    Last edited by DrByte; 10 Dec 2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: bugfix note

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That resolved it! thank you for the quick reply.

Plugin Contributions

Just wanted to say that I had this same issue and applied the fix to the /includes/classes/class.smtp.php and it solved the problem. Not sure if it was a server side issue (had server issues today) or software bug. But it is working now. I may try removing the fix in a week or so and see if perhaps it was indeed a server issue.
    www.PrairieRoses.com
    A Country Sensibility

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast