Plugin Contributions

Default Conversion Rates

Hi there

I have been using Google Analytics to check our conversion rates and shopping cart abandonment rates.

Using this I have managed to get our overall conversion rate to just over 2%. Which is not spectacular but given that we don't sell off the shelf widgets, but customised sports gear, we are reasonably happy with.

But our cart abandonment rate is huge. It dropped after we started using paypal express, but the main neck is still the create account step (albeit this is now the go off to paypal and come back step).

It is around 80%. On a good day. Other days it is closer to 90%.

Is this normal? Because I looked at other zen cart stores, and their checkout process was in most cases just the default.

When we talk about shopping cart abandonment rates, do we include the create account step?

How do other people set their Google Analytics goals?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Conversion Rates

Hi,

I normally define 'Cart Abandonment' as someone placing something into their shopping cart and then leaving without starting the checkout process. If someone starts the checkout process but does not go all the way through to placing an order then that gets classified as 'Checkout Abandonment'.

To reduce Checkout Abandonment I devised the Amazon style Checkout for Zen Cart which I have had good success with. It eases the customer into the checkout process and uses friendlier language so they do not get scared off. I also recommend using Order Steps so that people can see whereabouts in the checkout process they are and what is to come.

Personally, I do not like PayPal Express Checkout, customers disappear off your site into someone else's checkout process which you have no control over.

Regards,
    Christian.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Conversion Rates

Yes, I will have a look at Amazon checkout then. Do you get a better conversion rate when using it?

I am still curious to know what kind of cart/checkout abandonment stats others get. Basically because I am not sure what is a good rate. But I do know where we lose most of our customers.

Justin