Plugin Contributions

Default Installed 1.3.7, not set-up yet, now upgrading to 1.3.8

Hello,

I just installed 1.3.7 a few weeks ago and have done nothing except install a zen-cart template and have done no customization yet. I'd like to uninstall the old version and just install 1.3.8. Should I just delete the original folders from the server and start over with the 1.3.8 install? Over-right the files? Can I use the same database as the 1.3.7 install even though there is nothing in it? What is the quickest way to start fresh?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installed 1.3.7, not set-up yet, now upgrading to 1.3.8

Quote Originally Posted by mlm2005 View Post
    What is the quickest way to start fresh?
    Yes. Since you've done nothing with it, your "old" install is essentially "not" installed.
    So, in that case, you can simply upload the new files as if you were doing a brand new install.
    So, yes, that means overwriting all existing files, and re-using the same database during the zc_install setup process ... which will wipe out the current database contents and replace it with a new fresh database.

If you prefer to start even more "clean", you could delete all the existing files before uploading the new ones. If you choose to overwrite instead, peek at the /docs/changelog-xxxxx.html file for the new version and look for the "deleted files" listing, and be sure to delete the listed files from the old files on your server.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you.

A question about CHMOD. I set the permissions to 777, hit okay and then check to make sure the settings are 777 but when I go back to a particular folder the settings say 755 again. I'm installing on a Unix Server. I'm not sure why the 777 settings aren't staying. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mlm2005 View Post
    A question about CHMOD. I set the permissions to 777, hit okay and then check to make sure the settings are 777 but when I go back to a particular folder the settings say 755 again. I'm installing on a Unix Server. I'm not sure why the 777 settings aren't staying. Can someone help?
    Some server configurations don't allow you to set files to 777 which is the highest wide-open security permission setting. Usually in those cases you can leave them at 755 and they'll still be writable.

Does the installer let you continue? Or is it telling you they're not writable?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.