Thread: Simple upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Simple upgrade

I would love to make the jump from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8a
    I don't use any of the Paypal modules, only the built-in zencard and cheque or money order.

The only changes that I made in my site are the basic text changes that everyone does and changed the logo.jpg and header_bg.jpg files.
    I also managed to change the green look of the 1.3.7 site to a more orange look by changing one of the files that changed the color. (can't remember the name of it.)
    (www.robertensing.com)

All was done with the default layout. (I know, I know, but I couldn't get the overwrite to work)
    I have backed up the mySQL file to my local drive.
    I have backup the site.

Can I just upload the 1.3.8a files to my present location without the new directory as suggested in wiki or do I still need to create a new DB and update the two config files?

I don't mind having to re-edit the basic changes and have purchased the manual to help me with that if I get stuck.

I have a few days off so I would like to spend the next couple days upgrading my site. There are about 2100 items in my store and during an earlier attempt at the upgrade seem to have lost the watermark feature of IH2 but I can also deal with that later.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't mind having to

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Simple upgrade

Since you have the site backed up, you can probably go ahead and do the upgrade directly. I suggest you create a template of your own to make updates/upgrades easier in future. You can always either copy the files you modified into other folders OR rename the existing folders to something else. The second option may sound easier, but you'll end up with tons of files you didn't modify and don't need duplicated. Programs like WinMerge and Beyond Compare will help you compare your template files to the latest version so your template stays in step.

I made this list while creating a prototype cart for someone just to keep track of what files I changed. I'm including it here to give you a general idea of where you should look for your changes.

To create a very basic custom template (you can build from there), you need:
    • includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php (to change the logo)
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_header.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images/logo.gif
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Anywhere you see a /classic/ folder, you can create a folder for your custom template. You can copy the necessary files from either the /classic/ folder, the /template_default/ folder or the parent folder.

Edit includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php to give your template identifying information so you'll recognize it in the admin under tools->template selection.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I use IH2 on both sites in my sig and had a problem when I upgraded the Fan Odyssey site to 1.3.8. I ended up uploading includes/modules/pages/popup_image/header_php.php and includes/modules/pages/popup_image_additional/header_php.php from the IH2 download (overwriting the files from 1.3.8) and it's behaving normally now.

I haven't upgraded the Holzheimer site yet. I've been swamped at work and figure I'll leave it until after the 1st of the year if I can.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    Since you have the site backed up, you can probably go ahead and do the upgrade directly. I suggest you create a template of your own to make updates/upgrades easier in future. You can always either copy the files you modified into other folders OR rename the existing folders to something else. The second option may sound easier, but you'll end up with tons of files you didn't modify and don't need duplicated. Programs like WinMerge and Beyond Compare will help you compare your template files to the latest version so your template stays in step.

I made this list while creating a prototype cart for someone just to keep track of what files I changed. I'm including it here to give you a general idea of where you should look for your changes.

To create a very basic custom template (you can build from there), you need:
    • includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php (to change the logo)
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_header.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images/logo.gif
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Anywhere you see a /classic/ folder, you can create a folder for your custom template. You can copy the necessary files from either the /classic/ folder, the /template_default/ folder or the parent folder.

Edit includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php to give your template identifying information so you'll recognize it in the admin under tools->template selection.
    That was fast, thanks for the speedy reply.

Robert

Plugin Contributions

No problem!

Don't forget to go into your admin and set your site to "down for maintenance" before you start fiddling with the upgrade because you never know when someone may hit your site and if you're in the middle of something, they can get unexpected results.

If you know your IP, you can set it in the "down for maintenance" function and be able to see what's going on without any potential customers being able to get in.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    No problem!

Don't forget to go into your admin and set your site to "down for maintenance" before you start fiddling with the upgrade because you never know when someone may hit your site and if you're in the middle of something, they can get unexpected results.

If you know your IP, you can set it in the "down for maintenance" function and be able to see what's going on without any potential customers being able to get in.
    Done, thanks for the reminder.
    So I have created a new database name and user and re-imported all my stuff. so I guess I'm ready to take the plunge. :-)

Thanks again.
    Robert

Plugin Contributions

I have started on my upgrade and it gave me two errors about the admin user and password.
    After I entered the user name and password I use for entering the admin of my existing store, it still left me with one error that I have entered the wrong admin user name and password.
    I even tried to go to the admin section of my site and it will not take admin info. :-(

Do I have to run the 1.3.8a install first and then run the upgrade?

Plugin Contributions

Well the second attempt also failed misserably so I'm in the process of putting 1.3.7 back up.
    Thanks for the help anyway.

Robert

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Rob905 View Post
    I have started on my upgrade and it gave me two errors about the admin user and password.
    After I entered the user name and password I use for entering the admin of my existing store, it still left me with one error that I have entered the wrong admin user name and password.
    What kind of error?
    Where?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    What kind of error?
    Where?
    The errors were admin user name and password errors, two of them
    after I put the username and password in for my store admin area, it got rid of one of the errors but left me with one more.
    It's moot now because I'm in a new predicament now. :-(

During all my messing arround, I have managed to upgrade my 1.3.7 DB to 1.3.8a but no matter what I do as far as installing the store, I dont' get to see any of my items.
    When I go to robertensing.com it shows the bare shell of the store and says "there are no products to display"

I've checked the database info and can't figure out how to get it to work again.
    I can't even get my 1.3.7 site to work anymore so I'm on a mission now to just to go straight to 1.3.8a and do a clean install if I can only get the database to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast