Default HELP!!! My Zen Cart is slow as molasses

Hi

Until yesterday, my Zen Cart was fine. Fast, good looking and gave me back massages whenever I asked (sort of).

Because I've added and taken away lots of products, I decided it would be a good idea to go into the Site Manager and:
    • Empty the Admin Log,
    • Update Product Attribute Codes,
    • Update Product Price Sorter and
    • Optimize the Database

This has been a terrible idea in retrospect and my Zen Cart has just completely ground to a halt.

Has anyone got any ideas how to make it go back to the fast, ######## Zen Cart it once was (preferrably that don't involve re-installing it or using a backup)?

Thanks

Simon

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP!!! My Zen Cart is slow as s**t

I've often found that sudden performance issues are due to someone else doing something on the same server. They can often time it so you make a change, performance issues appear, and you blame your changes without realising the truth!

If you can check the general performance of the server (via cpanel, or whatever) that's worth doing. Someone may be running CPU-hungry cron jobs.

Also, have a look through your image folders. Have you accidentally uploaded any large ones that are being resized on the fly?

Other than that, you'll need to start checking indexes and repairing any broken ones you find ...
    We're now settled in at our final home - http://www.swiftbooks.co.uk - where you'll find an eclectic collection of used books. Still a lot of work to do, though!

Plugin Contributions

Hey, me too....but just the admin area. I was blaming on creating too many QBI iif files. Don't mean to repost (did in QBI) but would like to hear other options. My server says all is well on their end...and the store is doing fine.

I found this thread earlier. Does it help you athena?

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP!!! My Zen Cart is slow as molasses

Thank you but it did not help .

How do I run a sql statement using sql-front to compact my database and is it recommended? I did empty my admin log file.

Plugin Contributions

You can test yourself if the problem is your site or the Server by using:
    Admin > Configuration > Logging : Display The Page Parse Time [true]

You will then see at the bottom of every Zen Cart page, the load time for PHP & mySQL. Load your Zen Cart Home page then Refresh. Normally even with many Mods and/or products, if the times for both are greater than 1 second the Server is slow or possibly overloaded.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. The store works great...it is the admin and I'm thinking now it is a problem I had installing a mod called Encrypted Master Password and I have pm the author about it. The mod does not work so I just replaced it with the original file and I think that is when things slowed down.

But the parse time is 1.237 for the store and seems to move right a long...can't see the parse time for the admin. Anyway to do that?

Happy New Year..btw (thought I was the only one still at work)

Plugin Contributions

It is true that some Mods will cause problems, either with the way they work or by slowing things down; Google Froogle is a perfect example of slowing things down.

One needs to become familiar with the speed & look of their site so they know when something is wrong. This is especially important when adding a new Mod with Admin functions as well. That also why it is important to take a database backup before doing a Mod install.

At this point though, sounds like you found & solved the problem. As to your Parse time, if it is showing over 1 second for either time and this is after doing a page refresh, then it can be said your Hoster has your site on a Server that is overloaded. Could be lightly overloaded or heavily but it is still overloaded. Also possible the Server is just not optimized.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Forgot to mention there is no Parse time for Admin.