Plugin Contributions

Default Downloadable attribute with other options - shipping charges not skipped

So, I have a zen cart store set up selling tickets for a flight school. The school can and does ship the tickets via USPS, and has added an option to allow customers to download the ticket directly instead.

I have followed the adding download attributes to products instructions, which I found pretty straightforward. My requirement is this: I want to keep an option to ship rather than download, and expect customers to be charged for shipping in this case, but not to be charged for shipping nor have to enter a shipping address if they choose the download option.

So, I created a download option with two values: 'Download PDF' and 'Please Ship' - only the 'Download PDF' value has an associated download filename.

As long as this download is the only attribute option on the product, it behaves as expected. If a user chooses the download, then checkout skips the shipping page, but it shows this page if the shipping option is selected. So far, so good.

I run into a problem, however, if the product has another attribute. The other option I want to offer has nothing to do with shipping or download - just a separate option to upgrade the airplane for an extra charge. Where I try to add this option name and yes/no upgrade option values alongside the download option set, now the user is shown the shipping screen and charged for shipping whether they choose to download or not.

I sort of understand, that since the upgrade option does not have a download file, zen cart thinks shipment may be necessary. Users typically check out with just one ticket in their cart - is there any way to modify the download file test query so that it looks for ANY attribute to have a download file, rather than ALL?

This, or any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable attribute with other options - shipping charges not skipped

Have you an URL where we can perhaps peek at this Product?

Maybe then, we can see a work around on this ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable attribute with other options - shipping charges not skipped

Please see test installation here:

http://yager-madden.net/projects/pwf...&products_id=3

Plugin Contributions

One method that works is to have all 4 options in the same dropdown ...

Plus I would have a 5th option to force the customer to make the right choice such as:
    -- Select Delivery Method --
    Default YES
    Display Only Yes

Download Standard
    add zip filename

Download Upgrade
    add price
    add zip filename

Ship Standard
    add weight (if needed for shipping)

Ship Upgrade
    add price
    add weight (if needed for shipping)

Now the checkout "hears" a Download and skips the checkout_shipping or does not "hear" the Download and goes to the checkout_shipping ...

Otherwise, doing the method you are using with the Shipping/Packaging setting of 0 weight means Free Shipping and installing Free Shipping freeshipper with result in both going to checkout_shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post

Otherwise, doing the method you are using with the Shipping/Packaging setting of 0 weight means Free Shipping and installing Free Shipping freeshipper with result in both going to checkout_shipping ...
    I was with you until this last part - the only shipping module I currently have installed is a flat per item. I am not sure what you mean here about the free shipper. I may just be dense, but it doesn't seem relevant. Is there some way I could keep the two separate options, and get the right behavior if weight was set to other than 0? I really don't understand what you mean here.

I am not opposed to using the combined option method you suggest above, but I would prefer to keep the options separate if possible.

I am able to program PHP myself if some change is necessary to accomplish, but I haven't been able to find where in the zen cart code the decision is being whether to skip shipping due to a downloadable product. If someone would could point this out, I might be able to adjust as necessary. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

To keep the two options separate ... add the shipping module Free Shipping freeshipper and set in the Configuration ... Shipping/Packaging ... and set 0 weight means Free Shipping ...

This will result in always going to the checkout_shipping but it will read as Free Shipping $0.00 ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Hey, that worked a treat - thanks a lot! :)

I do still wish for a way to have the separate options, *and* skip checkout_shipping entirely. (Having to click 'Continue' on the shipping page just seems an extra and quite unnecessary step for what will end up being downloaded) but as long as customers aren't getting charged for shipping on a download order, I think that's the most important thing.

Plugin Contributions

Toss something describing this in the Wish List forum and reference this thread ...

I agree with what you are saying but also see a lot of other possibilities and issues and the Team will need to give this a long think ...
    Linda McGrath