Plugin Contributions

Default Download attribute only works from product page

Hello,

I have defined download attributes for several products as described at https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=71.

But the download only appears at checkout when the attribute checkbox is viewed from each individual product page, NOT when it is quickly added to the shopping cart from the category listing (i.e."Add to Cart" or "Buy Now" from the CATEGORY page). Not even when I make "Default Attribute to be Marked Selected".

This seems to demonstrate a very dissapointing concept of "product attributes" that really behave more like "session-dependent" attributes, that is, they only work when the shopper clicks all the pages. If true, that is not very good salesmanship these days.

Is there a way to make product downloads work ALL the time, from ANYWHERE in (or outside) Zen Cart?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Download attribute only works from product page

I'm not sure I understand the question.

They cannot download the product until after they purchase. I have been using ZC for over 2 years now for mostly downloads and have never had a problem with it.

I don't remember if it makes a difference, but I use radio buttons, not checkboxes, for my attributes.

Perhaps if you provide a link or screenshots and some clarification?
    Lesli in SW Florida ~ writer, teacher, and dodging hurricanes!

Plugin Contributions

You cannot order Products with Attributes from the Listing ... they have to be ordered from the Product _info page ...

If you are somehow by passing this rule, then you have errors in your code or template that is allowing you to add the Product but not the Attribute with the Download to your cart ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

You cannot order Products with Attributes from the Listing ... they have to be ordered from the Product _info page ...
    I guess that's what I needed to know.

This seems to demonstrate a very dissapointing concept of "product attributes" that really behave more like "session-dependent" attributes, that is, they only work when the shopper clicks all the pages. If true, that is not very good salesmanship these days.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post

If you are somehow by passing this rule, then you have errors in your code or template that is allowing you to add the Product but not the Attribute with the Download to your cart ...
    Can you elaborate on this?

It's kinda silly that you can't add a downloadable product to the cart from a category page. You have to click from the category page to the product page so the attribute can be added to the product to the shopping cart.

For example, I have a list of downloadable songs. If I could choose multiple songs at once from the category page and add them to my cart, that would be great.

Is there a hack/workaround to make this possible? I've hacked up my templates pretty hard already, so I'm not opposed to hacking at it some more. (For example, I put Flash song previews on the category page...)

Plugin Contributions

When the code is re-written, sometime in a future release, this will be changed ...

Right now, this is not an option to purchase any Product with 1 or more attributes from outside of the product _info pages ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!