Plugin Contributions

Default No Styling & htaccess "order not allowed here"

Ok so I've scoured the forum but nothing seems to point to exactly the same problem, tried some suggested fixes but to no avail. Also, although I'm a newbie to the forum I've installed zen many times before without major issue but this is a new hosting company!

Here's the scenario.

New install of V1.38 here www. thejungledrummer .com/store

During install I received a message that the server is running php as cgi/fcgi but from what I can gather this is not too much of an issue - right?

Once installed I switched to the store/index page to check out everything was OK. - Page appeared OK but with no styling. (in FF with developer plugin the CSS files show as "500 internal server error")

So I emailed the hosting company as I found a post about this which said:
    "Ask your hosting company to all the "Limit" keyword to the
    AllowOverrides parameter of your domain's vhost configuration in their
    server's httpd.conf settings file.
    This is your most secure option for Apache-based Webservers"

They replied
    "Unfortunately I cannot make the requested changes to the system. Our shared hosting system is pre set to pre-arranged security configurations and cannot be changed."

So from the same zen post I tried renaming the .htaccess (includes & admin/includes) temporarily, this fixed the front end of the store but the admin still has no styling.

In addition I received the usual warning about configure.php files being writeable, I am unable to change the CHMOD settings so the Hosting company said add this to the end of configure.php code:

define('WARN_CONFIG_WRITEABLE','false');

Is this correct (and secure) or just hiding the warning? and how do I fix the .htaccess/styling issues?

Sorry for the long post guys just trying to save time by giving complete information.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No Styling & htaccess "order not allowed here"

Added - sorry, to expand on the title:
    server log shows -
    "htaccess - order not allowed here"

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

This FAQ might help clarify some of what's happening ... or maybe it's much the same as the post you had referenced:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=235

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply DrByte:
    I have already checked the FAQ but it does not offer much help in this instance. The problems are:

1 That the hosting company seem unwilling to help and therefore which folders need securing and how?

2 I am concerned about security re their configure.php 'workaround'

3 Are there any issues caused by php running as cgi?

4 Even after renaming the admin .htaccess there is no styling applied to the admin area?

Sorry to repeat just trying to distill it down to the key points for ease.
    Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Designz View Post
    2 I am concerned about security re their configure.php 'workaround'
    If you've marked the file as read-only, and are confident that it really is read-only, then you can turn off the warning as they suggested.

3 Are there any issues caused by php running as cgi?
    Sometimes. Sorry, you should ask a webhost or server administrator that question.
    4 Even after renaming the admin .htaccess there is no styling applied to the admin area?
    have you renamed the /admin/.htaccess file too? (you only mentioned /admin/includes/.htaccess)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    have you renamed the /admin/.htaccess file too? (you only mentioned /admin/includes/.htaccess)
    Doh! Done and admin now has styling applied. Thx

I guess the moral of the story is don't let the client dictate the Hosting Co!

Thx again

Plugin Contributions

Glad to hear you got your problems sorted out. To answer your question regarding PHP being run as CGI, it is more secure which is why more Hosters are running it that way. It does tend to cause some problems though due to things working a bit differently.

To correct the big error msg. with the Red background;
    "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: ... "

Make a blank file and inside put the following code:

<?php
    chmod("includes/configure.php", 0444);
    chmod("admin/includes/configure.php", 0444)
    ?>

Note: if you renamed the 'admin' directory then change "admin" to whatever you renamed it to and you're good to go.

Save the file as "chmod.php", upload it to the same directory where these files are:
    index.php - ipn_main_handler.php - nddbc.html

Now load the URL into your Browser: http://yoursite.com/chmod.php
    You will see a blank page and that is OK. Use your Browser to load your Zen Cart "index" page and verify Error msg. is gone.
    Delete the 'chmod.php' page.

You must also be careful and "do not" put any reference to PHP within any .htaccess file. It will cause a 500 error page to show when using PHP as CGI.

Plugin Contributions

Rob-
    Thank you

Not had a chance to do it yet but understand perfectly what it will achieve, I'm sure lots of other members will find it useful too.
    I'll keep your post for future reference 'cause I know I'm goin to run into the same situation again at some point in the future!

Brilliant
    Cheers!