Plugin Contributions

Default problems at phpbb setup step

phpBB Setup i am having a problem with this bit i am new to this sort of thing and i have been picking it up as i am going along but i can't seem to find this in where i don't need a fourm so i have not signed up for one when i click on just got a blank web page so i just downloaded

phpBB

i put where the file is

/public_html/zc_install/phpBB

still nothin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: problems at phpbb setup step

Im having the same issues with 1.3.8. I have at least 6 *functioning* 1.3.7 zencarts on the same server.

curl support is on, no yellow or orange flags. Once I hit the phpbb setup step, BLANK PAGE. I've looked at the error logs in the cache files but I don't see any sort of error that would cause this issue.

help?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. There were a few installation bugs fixed in the v1.3.8a files.
    If you're not using v1.3.8a files, please get the updated files before continuing.

2. A blank page is usually a result of a PHP script failure. It could be a bug or a system error that's causing it.
    After the phpBB screen, the installer attempts to save all the settings you've supplied by writing them to your /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php files. If you've made them writable as instructed, this normally works just fine.
    Usually a failure at this stage is a result of a permissions challenge that's been encountered. Sometimes it's a result of a disk quota/space problem as well.
    The required troubleshooting step is to determine the permissions settings on your 2 configure.php files, and list their contents. They should contain settings based on the data you supplied during the setup interview. If they don't, then the server is having problems writing the changes, ending in an error.

But, start with the 1.3.8a files first, instead of just 1.3.8.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: problems at phpbb setup step

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    1. There were a few installation bugs fixed in the v1.3.8a files.
    If you're not using v1.3.8a files, please get the updated files before continuing.
    using the 1.3.8a files. still have the problem

2. A blank page is usually a result of a PHP script failure. It could be a bug or a system error that's causing it.
    After the phpBB screen, the installer attempts to save all the settings you've supplied by writing them to your /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php files. If you've made them writable as instructed, this normally works just fine.
    Usually a failure at this stage is a result of a permissions challenge that's been encountered. Sometimes it's a result of a disk quota/space problem as well.
    The required troubleshooting step is to determine the permissions settings on your 2 configure.php files, and list their contents. They should contain settings based on the data you supplied during the setup interview. If they don't, then the server is having problems writing the changes, ending in an error.

But, start with the 1.3.8a files first, instead of just 1.3.8.
    All directories that are required to be writable, are. Its not my first trip on the pony. The Configure files ARE saved with the correct information. I checked them both and they saved just perfectly. Can't be a server space issue, got 88 gigs free space

All 7 of the OTHER zencart installs work just fine. I have all different versions running without issue. I checked just to be sure and completely installed a fresh copy of the latest version of 1.3.7. It installed flawlessly.

Tried just now to install 1.3.8a *again* and got the indentical issue I was getting before on the 1.3.8

Hope you can help me figure this one out.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I solved MY issue. Neither of the configure files had the closing "?>" brackets. Apparently the install script got hung somewhere cause all that was at the end of those files was

"//EOF"

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Try step 2(b) from this FAQ: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82
    ... but use /zc_install/includes/local/configure.php as the filename.
    (You'll have to create the "local" folder.)

What error messages appear on the page that's normally blank?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Or better yet, try step 2(a) as well, but upload the file to the /zc_install/includes/local/ folder.
    Then rename the file to configure.php.
    And edit the configure.php file, and add the STRICT_ERROR_REPORTING define (to true) as suggested in step 2(b).

This way, you end up with both benefits in one file, which should log the cause of PHP errors.

I apologize in advance if this doesn't give exactly what one would expect ... I haven't tested it specifically. I'm trying to give you some tools without having to edit any code.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Or better yet, try step 2(a) as well, but upload the file to the /zc_install/includes/local/ folder.
    Then rename the file to configure.php.
    And edit the configure.php file, and add the STRICT_ERROR_REPORTING define (to true) as suggested in step 2(b).

This way, you end up with both benefits in one file, which should log the cause of PHP errors.

I apologize in advance if this doesn't give exactly what one would expect ... I haven't tested it specifically. I'm trying to give you some tools without having to edit any code.
    phpBB Setup

Next, you will be prompted for phpBB path information. If you have the phpBB forum software already installed on your site, you may enable it for connectivity and synchronization from Zen Cart™. To enable it, specify the path on your server where the phpBB files are located. For example, if they are in ......public_html/forums then you would enter /forums in the Zen Cart™ installer for path to phpBB files.

This is what i did, but below reads the error message:
    phpBB config files do not exist :forum/config.php more info...

more info...
    The path entered here is relative to the "root" of your server. So, if your phpBB installation is in /home/users/username/public_html/phpbb , then you need to enter /home/users/username/public_html/phpbb/ here. If it is under another set of subfolders, you need to list those folders in the path.

We will look to find your "config.php" file in that folder.

I have changed the access for forum/config.php to 777. I am not sure why it isn't working