Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Possible Module installer/upgrader [for mod developers]

Here is the idea:
    Mods should be automatically installed and upgraded if possible.

The current version of this mod takes care of the database part only.

Brief intro:

What it can do:
    1. Automatically install new module database patches
    2. Execute all database patches in order, so that it will work even if the users skipped several versions.

How it works:

1. All your sql patches should be put inside:
    admin/includes/module_installation/your_mod/db/
    naming from 0.sql to n.sql

2. For each new version, you will need to pack a specific file called current_version.txt placed in admin/includes/module_installation/your_mod/

module_installer will check compare the patch level it found in database against the current patch level, and will execute all new sql patches in order.

This mod contains 2 classes:
    sqlPatch class:
    https://svn.rubikintegration.com/zen...atch_class.php

--> This class simply uses all the functions found in ZenCart admin/sqlpatch.php, packed into a class with minor changes.

module_installer class:
    https://svn.rubikintegration.com/zen..._installer.php

--> The core of this installer
    Comments, code suggestions are all welcome.
    It'd be great if we can develop this mod to improve its functionality to make life easier for both developers and users.
    Last edited by yellow1912; 26 Jan 2008 at 08:39 AM.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Possible Module installer/upgrader [for mod developers]

what a great idea.
    but i dont know if it is possible with the way Zen work rigth now.
    work fine for DB , but for edition of the core file , i am not really sure, but it is a great idea.

Plugin Contributions

It is already working for database, the next step is to allow developers to pack all files in a zip package, the this mod will automatically unzip into corresponding folders.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    It is already working for database, the next step is to allow developers to pack all files in a zip package, the this mod will automatically unzip into corresponding folders.
    yes i understand like Easymod in phpbb .....
    would be neat.

Plugin Contributions

Yup, developers should spend less time answering questions like: how and where do I upload the files etc....

Plugin Contributions

I have put this project on Google code under GNU v2.
    http://code.google.com/p/zencart-module-manager/

Feel free to check it out, more docs will come soon.

If you want to give a hand and join the developer team, please post here or send me a PM

Regards

Plugin Contributions

Good idea! It will certainly work easily for mods that don't require coordinating with existing template override files. I presume you can make it check to see if any of the files involved already have overrides. The tricky part may be distinguishing between previous versions of the mod files (which can probably just be overwritten) and unrelated override versions which will need manual checking and merging.

Maybe something like a date/time record which could let the installer know that the last version of the file was the one it previously updated, so it is safe to overwrite.

Plugin Contributions

For now, I use a specific number called "Patch level" to associate the database patch level of each version (each version should come with a text file indicates its patch level). That works quite good for database.
    As for files, as long as it does not overwrite core files then it's an easy part I think, we can figure it out somehow ^^.

Plugin Contributions

Associate date and time is a good idea, or we can allow each module to set a lock-key for specific file so that other modules can not overwrite (users will have to manually merge the files themselves for now)

Plugin Contributions

If two mods alter the same file, it probably wouldn't be right to let either of them have a lock - both/all have to be locked out of the auto update if there is overlap.

For mods that require some manual editing of a file to customize it for the user, if that editing is done before uploading, it might be hard to detect... I suppose if the installer unzips the new mod, there wouldn't be any confusion about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast