Plugin Contributions

Default Need to display UPS discounted rates

Ok, I am shipping enough items now that I got UPS's attention and I am in the middle of negotiating better rates with them based on my shipping volume. My question is, how can I get ZenCart to retrieve these rates and display them to the customer when using the checkout. I think that the UPS module just retrieves the standard rates based on the shipper and customers zip codes and package weight. I looked but I could not find any information regarding this on the forum or in the downloads section.

Thanks,
    Marc

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to display UPS discounted rates

UPS has a IT dept that should be able to help you.

Plugin Contributions

The current UPS module uses the HTML API. You need a module that supports XML API that can retreive the <NegotiatedRates> data. It shouldn't be too hard to find a XML base API around here. If you can't find one, I am working on one right now, although I don't know when I'll be able to finish it.

Plugin Contributions

I guess if I was a programmer that might be a huge start in the right direction but I am only capable of simple modifications to already existing code. Cut and paste, so to speak.

With ZenCart being used by so many people around the world I can not believe that I am the first person in need of this.

Would it be similar to the USPS module that requires a username and password to retrieve rates?

UPS tells me that they are not familiar with ZenCart. If I can talk with somebody in IT down there what exactly would I need to ask for?

JOELZHL, I am not a programmer but is there anything that I can do to help you with getting that done?

Thanks again,
    Marc

PS. Everyone out there that is shipping more than $50/week constantly is eligible for some sort of rate reduction and should contact your UPS representative. The rates get dramatically lower as your volume increases. You can keep that savings for your business or pass it along to your customers. Either way you win.

Plugin Contributions

The reason I am saying I don't know when I can finish the module is because my website ships anything from a small kitchen cabinet handle with USPS to medium size items with UPS to huge kitchen set using freight. I need to modify the existing codes to add handlers for dimensions of each item and whether they need to be ship individually or can be combined together with the default Zen-Cart max weight rules. Currently, I am modifying codes for the shopping cart class, order class, shipping estimator module, ups module, usps module, and another freight module.

However, your needs might be much simpler then mine. If you don't need all the dimensions and combine rule stuff, I can probably supply you with a strip down XML base UPS API where you can just copy & paste and replace existing codes from the UPS module with the new codes.

As for an independent module, I guess that'll probably take anywhere from two weeks to two months depending on my current work schedule. There's really nothing much I can do to speed it up since I am working on this with my free time.

Plugin Contributions

Hey, where do you get this thing you call "free time"? I want some...

I just got off the phone with my account rep and she is going to learn a little more about the "web tools" aspect and get back to me. She says that someone will even come out and take a look at my needs. I am not sure exactly what that means but she led me to believe they could help me integrate the new rates into my web site so I guess I will just have to wait a bit and see.

I can understand a lot of what code does when it is explained to me but I just can not write it. I will let you know what they tell me and maybe we can work on it as a community contribution add-on.

Thanks again,
    Marc