Thread: Importing

Default Importing

AHA! I found the reason my imports were not working. It IS the path name and case.

ALL paths on server cannot contain any white space. So, instead of my directories names my pool cues/IMAGE1.jpg.. I had to name my_pool_cues/image1.jpg (notice image name also.. mine was all lower case in export file). Can also name directory MyPoolCues... NO WHITESPACE.

I think there can be an override in the ZEN CODE to correct this. ie: make all names lower or upper case and add _ to all paths if white space is present?

Anyways, after 4 days of slapping my bald head and developing serious blisters.. I got it and wanted to share with you.
    Shooter

ShootersBilliards.com for lowest prices on all pool cues and billiards supplies.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Importing

To be fair, this is not a "Zen Cart" issue, it is a general server/computer issue.

Any one book can't teach everything about computer conventions and use.
    Since a new image subdirectory could be added manually at any time, having the ZC program detecting and changing subdirectory names on the server (which would have to be done every time an image was looked for to be truly effective) sounds like a nightmare and a waste of resources for every store that does not make the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    To be fair, this is not a "Zen Cart" issue, it is a general server/computer issue.

Any one book can't teach everything about computer conventions and use.
    Since a new image subdirectory could be added manually at any time, having the ZC program detecting and changing subdirectory names on the server (which would have to be done every time an image was looked for to be truly effective) sounds like a nightmare and a waste of resources for every store that does not make the mistake.

Ok.. fine.. u win. How about a notice somewhere when adding a product?
    Shooter

ShootersBilliards.com for lowest prices on all pool cues and billiards supplies.

Plugin Contributions

Adding Notices won't work. All kinds of Notices would / could be posted and just clutter things up.

After time it becomes a habit. Just a matter of learning how Linux works, same as we had to learn how Windows works. What's nice is to get into the habit of not using spaces (within dir. OR file names) as it works with both Windows & Linux. And using small letters for naming is also a good idea -- for us -- because it's easy to remember that way.