Plugin Contributions

Default Site suddenly crawling & db probs?

Hi,

wondering if anyone could shed light on this problem. we are hosted with 1and1 - there lies your problem your might say! we are running zencart 1.3.8a and have had no prbs until this week. Now all of a sudden the site is running like a dog with no legs, and the 'wait til we connect to the databse etc' error message seems to be showing quite frequently to customers - in admin on whos online i have seen several times this message:
    0 DB_ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED
    in:
    [select * from project_version WHERE project_version_key = 'Zen-Cart Database' ]
    If you were entering information, press the BACK button in your browser and re-check the information you had entered to be sure you left no blank fields.

havent a clue what it means - i need to find out if it is zen that is doing all this or the server - 1and1 deny all knowledge and blame zen but i didnt expect them to do anything else to be honest. Can anyone help with this problem or at least tell me if it is zen side or server side thats causing the slow down?

The web addy is www.hedgepig.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Lyn

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site suddenly crawling & db probs?

Hello Lyn

Yes... I get your DB connection error page as well.

If you have done NOTHING to the core code, or other server settings, then it's your host fiddling about somewhere.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

Yeah its just gone on its ######## again. We have been doing nothing major - tidying up login and things but thats all - certainly nothing major league. The only big thing we did was put slimbox on and start sorting the size of the images.

I got an email from onea and one in the mddle of it all stating that they were upgrading our server (it started before then) - and i was hoping it would solve it but no joy so far

regards

Lyn

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by hedgepig View Post
    stating that they were upgrading our server...
    I think this points to your problem...

Can you login to your C-Panel (or similar)?

Check your database settings - things like username and password.

If you have phpMyAdmin, see if your dbase is "intact". - (and while you're there do a backup)

Then, check your configure.php files to make sure that the dbase name, username and passwords match those chosen under c-Panel.

If all these settings are OK...

... It could be that with the "server upgrade" versions of php, or mySql may have been changed by the hosts, or other settings altered without consideration for their effects on existing set-ups.

To have them give you a vague term like "server upgrade" is completely unhelpful - you need to know EXACTLY what was upgraded!
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I'm having this IDENTICAL problem. Zen Cart is working flawlessly since June, all of the sudden its starts CRAWLING. Some customers manged to get a sale or two in (bless their hearts) but otherwise the crawling speed is scaring everyone away (including me). The admin section also crawls and eventually gives me the 0 DB_ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED error message (word for word as the problem above.)

I contacted the host (DreamHost.com) and bitched them out and they also denied culpability for the hang ups. I haven't installed, upgraded nor touched anything on this Zen Cart installation in weeks!

Anyone else encountered this problem, my host wasn't any help at all. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

We tried everything to resolve the problem, our hosting co 1 & 1, said it was our fault too many queries etc - kept having to speak to someone who knew even less than me about things. Eventually swapped hosting to Camelot Hosting - www.camelot-hosting.com they did the swap over for us - was totally painless and done over a day or two - ever since the site has run like a dream and the customer support is excellent - and as a bonus its cheap - cant recommend them more

regards

Lyn
    www.hedgepig.co.uk