Plugin Contributions

Default Can someone make "Customer Tax Exempt" and "Local Sales Tax" mods work together?

I've spent the better part of a week crunching state/local/county/transit authority/ etc. sales tax spreadsheets for 3 of 5 states my company has a sales nexus in to utilize the "Local Sales Tax" module. Sweet, everything works as needed... Problem now is I have both retail customers and wholesale resellers! Obviously, retail folks in my nexus states require sales tax while resellers don't. So I install "Customer Tax Exempt" mod to make all taxes exempt on a customer by customer basis. Works swimmingly for my states with flat sales taxes, doesn't work for those states that require local taxes. Can someone get these two mods working together?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can someone make "Customer Tax Exempt" and "Local Sales Tax" mods work together?

I haven't tested these mods together. But, after looking at the exemption mod, I would guess part of the problem you will have in using them together is that the exemption mod is built directly into the cart tax (zone taxes), so if the sort order for the cart tax is set before the local tax mod the "zone" will be zeroed out but the local sales tax will still calculate. If you set the sort order for the local sales tax to calculate before the zone taxes they may work together, but I'm not really sure, as I have not tested it.

LadyHLG

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can someone make "Customer Tax Exempt" and "Local Sales Tax" mods work together?

I took an even closer look at the exemption mod and I'm now I think it will not work with the local tax mod because it is built directly into the cart zone tax calculations, it will only effect those taxes.

Now that I think about it a bit more, it might be possible to have the local tax mod check for the exemption...but I'm not sure yet...
    Last edited by LadyHLG; 26 Mar 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I believe I have worked out a solution to combine both of these mods. I have attached a file below to replace one of the Local Sales Tax mod files.

This file will only work with both mods installed
    Local Sales Tax Mod v2.0a
    Customer Exempt Mod by Numinix v1.11

I hope this works for you, I have done as much testing as time will allow.

To exempt customers from Local Sales Taxes:
    The "Customer Tax Exempt" field in the customer admin must be either "ALL", which will exempt the customer from ALL sales taxes both zone and local,
    or to exempt a specific local tax you need to enter the local tax description. This description MUST match the TAX DESCRIPTION used when setting up your local tax!

I hope this does what you need,
    LadyHLG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plugin Contributions

LadyHLG:
    Thanks a million, this seems to work perfectly! Now I can target both of my markets!

-Squanto

Plugin Contributions

Hi Heather,
    I had customer tax exempt mod installed prior to the Local Sales Tax mod installed and it did work at that time by entering “ALL” into the exempt field. All was fine. I now have the “Local Sales Tax” mod installed and working well with the New York state tax table but now the Customer Tax Exempt field has no effect. From the other posts, I have the sort order as suggested with Local Sales Tax mod sorted before the regular tax. I have replaced your ot_local_sales_taxes.php with the new one posted here in the forum. I am using ZC 1.3.8, LST Mod V2.3, Cust Tax Exempt V1.12

This is my output with “ALL” in the tax exempt field:
    Sub-Total: $21.00
    14580 Sales Tax 8.00%: $1.68
    United States Postal Service (First-Class Mail (2 - 5 days)): $3.57
    Total: $26.25

You mention that “to exempt a specific local tax you need to enter the local tax description. This description MUST match the TAX DESCRIPTION.” What field is the Tax Description? I have tried NY, New York, NY Sales Tax, NY Local Sales Tax Zone, tax_rates_local with no luck.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you so much.
    Also, I have a new New York State SQL data table for the L.S.T. mod that is error free and accurate if others have interest.
    Regards,
    Tesla

Plugin Contributions

Hi LadyHLG,

Is there any chance of getting this fix made current? I'm way out of my depth on this, and my client really wants local retail and tax exempt wholesale on the same installation.

I've got:
    Zen Cart 1.3.9f
    Customer tax exempt 1.3

and your wonderful mod:
    Local Sales Tax 2.4

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Dave,
    Have you seen this thread?

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...111782&page=35

LadyHLG