Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

You have a choice ...

You can use the default pattern of:
    Code:
    /images
    /images/medium
    /images/large
    Or, if you like, you can make your own directories based on your image sorting needs and use subdirectories ... some need them some do not ... such as a custom pattern for:
    Code:
    /images/your_own_directory
    /images/medium/your_own_directory
    /images/large/your_own_directory
    As long as you follow the pattern, either method works ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

ok, great---thanks so very much for all your help!!

Mellany
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
    Mellany M
    www.mellmaxknits.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HOW-TO: Image Preparation

But can you do this?

Code:
    /images/your_own_directory/your_own_subdirectory
    /images/medium/your_own_directory/your_own_subdirectory
    /images/large/your_own_directory/your_own_subdirectory
    For example, I wish to keep images from each manufacturer separate, but also each major product line from each manufacturer separate.

Reuben

Plugin Contributions

Currently ... Zen Cart is setup just for the /images or /images/something

We will be looking into this in a future release ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ok thanks.
    Appreciate it.

Reuben

Plugin Contributions

Default JPEG or GIF?

My big question is this: how can you get the system to understand you want your small & medium images to be "gif," and a jpg for the large image? It seems to me a lot of stores wouldn't want 8k or 10k jpgs displayed on their category overview pages, but .gifs that represent the product (e.g. a bumpersticker design for the small image, and the bumpersticker as it actually looks on a car).

I have to say... I think this is a pretty silly way to have to do things, and unnecessarily confuses new people. I spent 2 hours futzing with this just to get it going, when it should be handled by having extra fields on the product management form.

If this was set up sensibly,

- There would simply be three fields, one for the small, medium, and large images.
    - There would be additional image fields if you need to display more than one image for a product per page.
    - The user could then set up their image directories however they wanted.
    - Image management would be immediately apparent.

Nevertheless, I'm focussed on the "how to do a small/med gif and large jpeg" question, rather than this mini-rant. Has anyone had this dilemma?

After having read through the posts in this thread, here's the process I now use to work the images on the site:

If you already have the product category folders set up, skip to step 7.

1. create a subfolder (named after the category of product is useful, but not necessary) in the main 'images' directory, if it doesn't exist.
    2a. create the directory 'large' in the main 'images' directory, if it doesn't exist.
    2b. in this 'large' directory, create a subfolder with the same name as the one in step 1.
    3a. create the directory 'medium' in the main 'images' directory, if it doesn't exist.
    3b. in this 'medium' directory, create a subfolder with the same name as the one in step 1

4. make sure the permissions for all these directories you've created are set to 777.

5. in image > configuration, make sure the option "calculate image size is turned on."

6. in your image editing program of choice, create the images necessary for your projects, at the large size. shrink them down to make the medium and small images, adding light "sharpening" if necessary before saving them. Make sure your large size images are all the same size, and there should be uniformity among the medium and small size images as well.

7. the filenames of the medium and large images must be identical to the small image, except:
    - the medium version of the image must be named:
    filename_MED.jpg
    - the large version of the image must be named:
    filename_LRG.jpg

9. with FTP/Dreamweaver, upload the large images to the folder:
    images/large/subdirectory

10. with FTP/Dreamweaver, upload the medium images to the folder:
    images/medium/subdirectory

11. Go to the Zen Cart product manager. In the product info page for each product, aim the field with the "browse" button to the correct file (for that product) in images/subdirectory — the "small" image. Upload it with "preview", and it will become the product image, and then "update."

12. the system will correctly point to the medium and large images as necessary.

For workflow purposes, upload everything first with FTP, and then go back through existing products to guide them to the small image.

Plugin Contributions

Or you could install Image-Handler 2 which I believe allows you to use different file-types for different sizes - but check out the documentation first (http://www.breakmyzencart.com)
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk
    Or you could install Image-Handler 2 which I believe allows you to use different file-types for different sizes - but check out the documentation first (http://www.breakmyzencart.com)
    Hey Ryk, thanks for responding. I was just looking at Image-Handler 2.

However, I'm also trying to find about a plug-in(?) called Zen Magic (?) which allows more than one product image per product; e.g. one can have 3 medium-sized images per product (to accommodate different views of the product, for example.)

Would you know anything about this Zen Magic? I'm just trying to install something'll work for this crew...

Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

You can have as many additional images as you want - it's built in to the system. Read up on image base name...and I think you may have been misled by the phrase "ZenMagic" which was coined by the dev team to explain some of the things that this cart is capable of!
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk
    You can have as many additional images as you want - it's built in to the system. Read up on image base name...and I think you may have been misled by the phrase "ZenMagic" which was coined by the dev team to explain some of the things that this cart is capable of!
    wait — additional images in ZenCart, or additional images with the support of Image Handler?

Thanks!

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast