Plugin Contributions

Default Austpost Improved - quotes double the correct price

Sorry for double posting - I just posted this thread in the wrong section so I've put it here (I'm new here).

Hi eveyone. I'm new to the forum and ZenCart. I'm having problems with Austpost Improved 2.1.3. It returns quotes at exactly double the correct price given from the Aus Post website calculator.

The shipping estimator appears to split the shipment into 2 boxes when only one is required. I have a test product of 17.5kgs and 52x52x34cms dimensions. The estimated shipping costs box reads:

"Total Items: 1 Weight: 17.5lbs Amount: $0.01 Dims: 52.00x26x34 Boxes: 2"

Notice the dimensions have been changed to 26 instead of 52.

I have set the max package weight to 220 in Configuration, Shipping/packaging. The Parcel Weight Format is set to kgs in the Austpost module and the product's weight has been entered in kgs also.

Help please?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Austpost Improved - quotes double the correct price

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyedfrog View Post
    Hi eveyone. I'm new to the forum and ZenCart. I'm having problems with Austpost Improved 2.1.3. It returns quotes at exactly double the correct price given from the Aus Post website calculator.
    Curious. Believe it or not, you are the first and only person to report this as an issue.

The shipping estimator appears to split the shipment into 2 boxes
    That would explain the doubling of the cost, ASSUMING that you are comparing same size and weight parcels. I'm not convinced this is a valid assumption though.

split the shipment into 2 boxes when only one is required.
    Are you 110% sure about that?

I have a test product of 17.5kgs and 52x52x34cms dimensions.
    This is the point where things get a little confusing.

You see, the problem is, Australia Post will not accept a parcel of those dimensions. It exceeds their maximum girth limit of 140cm.
    (52 x 52 gives a girth of 208cm)

The Australia Post module 'knows' that this parcel is too large, so it 'conveniently' chops it in half and calculates a rate based on 2 half size packages, as shown in your following quote:

estimated shipping costs box reads:

"Total Items: 1 Weight: 17.5lbs Amount: $0.01 Dims: 52.00x26x34 Boxes: 2"

Notice the dimensions have been changed to 26 instead of 52.
    Which exactly what the AustPost module has been designed to do.
    The quote on this 'parcel' from postcode 2000 to postcode 5000 should be $57.70 (plus handling fees).

Yes, I know it may not be physically possible possible to divide any given parcel in this manner, but you do need to keep in mind that this module caters for multiple items and in those cases most parcels will be able to be divided into smaller parcels where neccessary. It is up to the store owner to ensure no single item will exceed the Australia Post imposed limitations.

When I enter the original weight and dimensions of your parcel into Australia Posts own online calculator I get the error I expect, namely "The dimensions submitted exceed the maximum dimensions for parcels of 105cm in length and 140cm girth"

So, with that observation explained, I'm at a loss at trying to figure out how the Australia Post module is actually giving you a quote that is double what you claim is the real cost, on an item that Australia Post won't quote for in the first place?

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but only you can really give that... how DID you get Aussie post to quote on an item that they won't normally deliver?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

First of all I assume you built the module? If so, I'd like to thank you for building such a fantastic module. Nice one!

I'm a bit drippy - I do recall Aus Post telling me the parcel dimensions were too big - but I ignored it. That would explain why Austpost is splitting the parcel into 2 boxes.

Unfortunately, this will be a common package (the most common) that I need to deliver - but it's a speaker so it can't be cut in half . So I guess I'll have to use an alternative carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    When I enter the original weight and dimensions of your parcel into Australia Posts own online calculator I get the error I expect, namely "The dimensions submitted exceed the maximum dimensions for parcels of 105cm in length and 140cm girth"

So, with that observation explained, I'm at a loss at trying to figure out how the Australia Post module is actually giving you a quote that is double what you claim is the real cost, on an item that Australia Post won't quote for in the first place?

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but only you can really give that... how DID you get Aussie post to quote on an item that they won't normally deliver?

Cheers
    Rod
    I got a quote from the aussie post web calculator simply by ignoring the size of the package (which it listed as optional after coming up with an error for the dimensions I put in). I.e. I just asked for a quote for a package weighing 17.5kgs (rounded to 18kgs), ignoring dimensions. This quote works out to be half that given by the Austpost module which splits the consignment into 2 boxes (can't remember if it works out the price based on 17.5kgs for each box - probably does and so results in the price twice as expensive as the Aussie post quote?)

Sorry to waste your time - looks like your module is working great and the problem is with my brain module. Do you have an add-on for that ?

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

First of all I assume you built the module?
    Yup.

I'm a bit drippy - I do recall Aus Post telling me the parcel dimensions were too big - but I ignored it.
    That could be rather embarrassing when you go to mail your parcel.

Unfortunately, this will be a common package (the most common) that I need to deliver - but it's a speaker so it can't be cut in half . So I guess I'll have to use an alternative carrier.
    Not necessarily. Some post offices will accept parcels both larger and heavier than their 'advertised' limitations, so they may still be able to deliver for you, you just won't be able to get a quote using the online calculators (including the AP module).

Having said that, larger items tend to be cheaper when sent by courier anyway.

I got a quote from the aussie post web calculator simply by ignoring the size of the package (which it listed as optional after coming up with an error for the dimensions I put in). I.e. I just asked for a quote for a package weighing 17.5kgs (rounded to 18kgs), ignoring dimensions.
    This is why you'll need to contact your local post office for a quote and delivery acceptance, because they too can ignore the dimensions.

This quote works out to be half that given by the Austpost module which splits the consignment into 2 boxes (can't remember if it works out the price based on 17.5kgs for each box - probably does and so results in the price twice as expensive as the Aussie post quote?)

Sorry to waste your time - looks like your module is working great
    Actually, you have observed a bug in the code, so it really hasn't been a waste of time. The AP module should be dividing the weight in half under these conditions, but it doesn't. At least not in the version that is currently available. I have taken care of this in the code, but due to the nature of the bug, it will only affect those in a similar situation to yourself, so it isn't one that I'd be rushing out an update for.

and the problem is with my brain module.
    Do you have an add-on for that ?
    If I did, I'd be using it myself ;-)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond (and build the module!) and advice re larger parcels using Aus Post. As an aside (off topic), any recommendations as to a specific carrier company to:

a) use as an alternate to Aus Post for larger parcels? Fastways seems ok... Everyone else I have contacted so far seem to have minimum monthly usages for which I don't qualify - I'll be starting very small (maybe one delivery per week initially).

b) cheapest way to send an individual 17.5kg parcel from Oz to NZ?

Recommendations anybody?

Many thanks.