Plugin Contributions

Default No password in forgot password email

I just had a customer email me that she tried to get her password with the "forgot my passowrd" link on my login page...she did get an email but it looks like this-as you can see there is no new passowrd, I know about the module available for me to go in and change it manually..but what do I need to do to get a password where it is blank below?!?!:

A new password was requested from 24.187.17.38.

Your new password to 'Expressions Photo' is:

After you have logged in using the new password, you may change it by going
    to the 'My Account' area.
    This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you
    feel that you have received this email in error, please send an email to
    Jill || I Love Zen Cart Templates || 2 Dogs Design
    I Love To Help But Let's Keep It Public Please To Help Others!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No password in forgot password email

Admin->Configuration->Minimum Values ... what do you have set for minimum password length?
    If it's set to 0, then it will generate blank passwords.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

uuggghhh.....that is set to 0 because i was trying to avoid people having to use a password....OK that is a problem.....back to square one with this login issue...thanks Dr. Byte......
    Jill || I Love Zen Cart Templates || 2 Dogs Design
    I Love To Help But Let's Keep It Public Please To Help Others!

Plugin Contributions

One of my clients has this same problem with only a select few customers, but it is frustrating. The minimum value for passwords is NOT set to 0 (it is 5). Just for kicks, I edited that value to another number so it might "resave" in the config file.

Any other items I should check to prevent this blank password email issue?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

In your language files, what do you have defined for this setting: EMAIL_PASSWORD_REMINDER_BODY

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    In your language files, what do you have defined for this setting: EMAIL_PASSWORD_REMINDER_BODY
    Thank you for the reply, Dr Byte. Here is what is currently showing in the language file:

define('EMAIL_PASSWORD_REMINDER_BODY', 'A new password was requested from ' . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . '.' . "\n\n" . 'Your new password to \'' . STORE_NAME . '\' is:' . "\n\n" . ' %s' . "\n\n");

Btw, I should mention that this is a version 1.2.7 build. (The owner will not yet commit to paying for upgrade work.)

Also, I considered that since this only happen to certain users, it might be something with their personal email program regarding HTML formatted emails. So I have changed the default format to be TEXT. Not sure if this will make a difference, but since the site owner does not send out HTML emails at this time, it seemed like a safe choice.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Did this just start happening? or has it always been this way for them?

I'd suggest checking whether /includes/modules/pages/password_forgotten/header_php.php has any altered code in it vs the default code.
    And whether there are any language overrides for that page that have removed the %s from the define (what you posted looks fine). The sprintf() calls in the header_php.php file combine the language text with the new password, specifically replacing the %s with the new password.
    And check also whether there have been any alterations to the zen_create_random_value() function in the functions folder or anything that that function calls.

You could also try doing some debug work in the header_php.php file by echoing the $new_password value once calculated, and see if it's generating a password correctly. If it is, then something's wrong after that step. If not, then something's amuck with the function which is generating the new value.