Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UTF-8 Zen-Cart Tutorial for v1.3.x

Having 1.3.9a installed and you code don't work for me maybe my file are never could you help me to fix it..to utf8 thanks to every body..

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

NOTE:
    With v1.3.9 you don't have to touch the query_factory.php file.

You should use this method instead:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153582

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

Sorry, I have been busy. We just put out our own open source project, http://mediafront.org/ . I am going to try and update my site with the correct info this coming week. The whole site actually.

Thanks for taking over the thread there Dr.

-Shaun

Plugin Contributions

Hi Everyone,

I am new to ZenCart, i am looking to install Japanese to the site, can anyone comment on which of the two JP Language Pack is the best to use?

CrystalKoi or the one from the Japanese ZenCart page?

japanese_localization_pack_based_on_zencarv_zencartv1-3-0-2l10njp1

Or should i donwload direct from the Japanese website?

PS...does the latest version of Zen-Cart need to be configured for UTF8 still?

Thanks,

Richard

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    NOTE:
    With v1.3.9 you don't have to touch the query_factory.php file.

You should use this method instead:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153582
    Thank you Dr Byte!

There is also a note in that post:

NOTES:
    - This is only applicable to v1.3.9x. It will NOT work in older versions, and is not applicable to the future version v2.x.
    Future v2.x. will support utf8 won't it? Probably using another method...

Anyway, these are the steps I have followed to make zen-cart-1.3.9e work with utf8 characters:

• 1->I created my database and user.
      2->From phpMyAdmin->Operations.
      I changed Collation to "utf8_general_ci", and then I hit "Go".

Optionally, "perfection maniacs" can try the following guide:
      http://journal.suteki.nu/2008/12/25/...configuration/

• zc_install/includes/installer_params.php

* Before installing *

I adjusted the relevant entry
      Code:
      // optionally set this to 'utf8':
        define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    • includes/extra_configures/my_db_charset.php
      admin/includes/extra_configures/my_db_charset.php

I created the above mentioned directories and files that contain the following code:
      Code:
      <?php define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    • I followed the renowned guide except for the part regarding the query_factory.php file :
      http://www.srw2d.com/content/databas...tion-important

• For Greek language, I downloaded the "Greek language pack"
      http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1316

I adjusted the relevant files according to the above mentioned guide but I also had to convert the .php files using the following command adjusted in a small bash script:

(I am using Linux, preferably Gentoo)

Code:
      iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-7 –to-code=UTF-8 "iso.file" > "utf.file"
      Code:
      n=1
      find ./ -name '*.php' -type f | sort |  {
      		while read files; do
      echo "$files"  
      fullpath=`dirname "$files"`
      filename=`basename "$files"`
      new_filename=utf__encoded_$filename
      echo $fullpath/utf_$filename
      iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-7 --to-code=UTF-8 $files  > $fullpath/$new_filename
      mv $fullpath/$new_filename $fullpath/$filename
      echo "$n"
      let "n += 1"
      done 
      	}

Now, everything seems to be working great!

Thank you for your help converting to utf8!

Kind regards,
    orange_juice

Plugin Contributions

Hi. I keep having "cold feet" about what seems to be a straightforward process of converting a database. I thought I had selected all the options to set up a database using UTF8, but after the database was created and I had configured my cart, I saw that most of the files were in latin1_swedish_ci. It appears that changing the collation and entering UTF8 in the boxes that appear in PHPMyAdmin does not actually change the underlying type of the file in PHPMyAdmin.

I find this not adequately explained, even though processes have been detailed on this thread for changing the latin1 to UTF8. I keep puzzling about whether every single latin1 instance is actually detrimental to the smooth operation of the cart, and am concerned that latin1 is 1/3 the size of a UTF8 character and is a space-saver that would in theory speed up a cart.

While I have not fully digested the below, I feel others who are puzzling over this conversion may find these articles of interest. I would be interested in any comments from persons who actually do understand these articles fully, as to (1) why latin1 would not be fine for -- say -- the latin languages, and (2) why some tables could not easily be in latin 1, for example, if one did not need Admin files to be in another language.

This quoted section is from a discussion of the mysql group at [email protected], which came my way in an email from the mysql group on 8/10/10:

Simply creating a new table and copying the data will not work in all
    situations.
    You need to ensure your client communications also match the character set
    of the output and input data.
    Using mysqldump is the most foolproof why. The following articles give you a
    detailed introduction into the process and the pitfalls.

http://ronaldbradford.com/blog/migra...on-2010-02-11/
    http://ronaldbradford.com/blog/migra...-2-2010-02-22/
    http://ronaldbradford.com/blog/migra...ss-2010-03-06/

Regards

Ronald

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your post sounds like you're not actually *needing* UTF8 support. So, why are you dabbling?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr. Byte,

Thanks for your comment. Please remove my off-topic post.

I hope to add a Spanish Language Pack to my site. I guess I had better just roll up my sleeves and follow the instructions here and stop worrying about my lack of understanding of MySql.

Believe it or not, your comment helps quite a lot.

Notageek

Plugin Contributions

I followed the steps in Post 88 posted by moosesoom in this thread, since my cart was already set up, and the procedure worked beautifully.

Moosesoom stated:

I solved the same problem with this thread's help.

As my database was already online I followed these steps to convert it to UTF-8:

1. Complete export of database from phpmyadmin (including Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION setting)
    2. Then export file editing to change every instances of CHARSET=latin1 to CHARSET=utf8
    3. Import of modified file to recreate database from scratch with every previous content (but in utf8)
    The instruction to check DROP TABLE/VIEW/PROCEDURE/FUNCTION as well as keep the other items which are checked by default in the PHPMyAdmin Export procedure was a critical instruction.

COLLATE=latin1 and COLLATE latin1 also needed to be replaced, but a global search and replace in Notepad++ replaced all of the latin1 occurrences with utf8. My latin1 version was latin1_general_ci (not latin1_swedish_ci), so that fit in with just a replacement of latin with utf8.

I accepted the default name _DB_ on export, selected "save as file" and then after the search and replace named the file to import the same name as the exported file, having been reminded recently that was necessary for the import to succeed.

To be sure the prior table would not interfere with the new table, I dropped the tables, all of which had remained in the database, before importing the changed file.

I mention the above extra detail because someone asked moosesoom to describe the steps in more detail. People more familiar with PHPMyAdmin would automatically know the above.

My site is FASTER now, really noticeably faster.

Thanks to moosesoom and also to Dr. Byte who is always so "on target."

I really thought changing the latin1 would be a fundamental change in the database that would slow my site down, but this is a simple word-replacement procedure that improved the site's speed.

Notageek

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your speed improvements are likely a result of deleting and restoring your data, more than changing the collation method. Similar performance gains could be accomplished using the Optimize Tables approach to tidy the database.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast