Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default MAMP/XAMPP set up local host

I first tried installing MAMP but i seemed to have all sort of problems.

I then got the 'zen cart 400 page manual' which told me to use XAMPP, but the instructions are for windows. Does anyone know how to set up the local host for Mac?

I got my macbook pro a month ago so im sure ive got the latest os, etc.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up MAMP

I just, for the first time today, installed MAMP, and set up a Zen Cart site running on my new MacBook Pro. I'd say it was a painless process:

1. Download the software from the mamp.info website
    2. Agree to install terms
    3. Drag the MAMP folder to the Applications folder (a usual Mac procedure)
    4. In the Applications/MAMP folder, double-click on the MAMP.app file
    5. Accept license, and choose just to use MAMP, and not MAMP PRO.
    6. Click on Start Servers in the MAMP application control window.
    7. Decided that I wanted to change the preferences so that Apache runs on port 80 (so I don't have to say localhost:8888 everything I want to look at my local server), so I clicked on Preferences, then on Apache, then on Use Apache and MySQL defaults, and saved the changes. It asked for my MAC user password in order to allow the system port change to be completed.
    (Make sure you do not have Personal Web Sharing turned on for your Mac if you are running your MAMP server on port 80. You can turn it off in System Preferences.)
    8. Clicked on Open Start Page, and it shows me all my appropriate settings such as my MySQL username and password so I can put them into my Zen Cart when I set it up.
    9. Clicked on the phpMyAdmin tab, and created a new database named zencart138.
    10. Use finder to create an /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/zencart folder (change "zencart" to whatever you prefer)
    11. Unzip a copy of Zen Cart files into that folder.
    12. Open the browser and point it to: http://localhost/zencart ... and Zen Cart fires up in Install mode.
    13. Fill in all the fields as appropriate, and complete installation.
    14. Access my store as usual via http://localhost/zencart and admin as http://localhost/zencart/admin

I found it to be very straightforward as far as installing an application on the Mac and as far as installing a website application.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MAMP/XAMPP set up local host

Thanks for the instructions. Ive uninstalled xampp and im trying mamp.

Step 12 isnt working. when i type in http://localhost/zencart i get 'Safari can’t connect to the server.'

Plugin Contributions

Turns out I needed the port number in the address as well. Thanks for the instructions, it seems to be working.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, MAMP uses port 8888 as default, but you change it to default Apache port 80 and it will then work without the port number.

That one scuppered me for quite a while when I switched to Mac

Nick

Plugin Contributions

How do I set up my local host as www.example.com? the zen cart guide only has instructions for windows.
    james

Plugin Contributions

I didn't know that was possible - it would have been very helpful if I had done that with the shop I am currently working on!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To set up www.example.com in MAMP, you follow the same steps as in the book, but with a couple variations due to the way the Mac OS operates:

1. To edit your "hosts" file, instead of accessing C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts , you will need to edit /etc/hosts
    However, since that is a system file, you must do it with admin privileges, as follows:
    a) Open the Terminal.app application
    b) Type: [FONT="Courier New"]sudo vi /etc/hosts[/FONT]
    c) enter your password if prompted (If you are an administrator, use your current password, if you're not an administrator of the computer, ask your administrator for the password, or get them to do it for you)
    d) Use the arrow keys to move down to the existing line that says 127.0.0.1 and press the letter i
    e) On the new line, fill in the new definition and press Return:
    [FONT="Courier New"]127.0.0.1 www.example.com[/FONT]
    f) Press ESC then : then x then Return
    g) Type [FONT="Courier New"]exit[/FONT] and press Return

2. For the Configuring Apache step, your <xampp-home> refers to /Applications/MAMP/ ... which means you will be editing this file:
    /Applications/MAMP/conf/apache/httpd.conf

(You can use Finder to locate the file, and edit it with TextEdit or your favorite text-only editor.
    Make the edits described in the book, and then save the file, and restart MAMP. It should work as described in the book, ie: pointing your browser to www.example.com should now show your MAMP sites.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

OK, I am new to Zencart.

I got to step 12 in DrByte's instructions and can't figure out what to do. When I put in http://localhost/zencart Safari can't connect. When I try to use 80 in the mix I cant get any other reaction from Safari. Help a newcomer, PLEASE!!!

KEN

Plugin Contributions

Make sure you do not have Personal Web Sharing turned on for your Mac if you are running your MAMP server on port 80.

Also check that you have renamed the uncompressed Zen Cart zipped file to something like "zencart" as per Step 10 of DrByte's instructions if you want to access your Zen Cart store at http://localhost/zencart. If you have renamed it to "shop", then access your Zen Cart store at http://localhost/shop.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast