Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Pop up box when exiting site

Is there a way to include a pop up box when visitors leave my shopping cart? For example, it would be just a survey box with check box questions asking why they are leaving and if they experienced any problems.

Kevin
    www.cvtreasures.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Pop up box when exiting site

There is a way, but why do it?

It's one of those "things" that serve no purpose except to antagonize people even further. Better to include a link (on every page) to a Survey section. There you can have different surveys and only people to chose.

There is one exception to the above; your Sale Confirmation page. That is the page people end up on after a successful purchase. That is when you can ask them to fill out a Survey about most anything and many people will. You could also provide Specials or otherwise unlisted products for them to purchase.

In short, the Successful Purchase page is an under-used Marketing page that many people fail to take advantage of. Better to spend time/money on how to make the people who have bought from you, even more happy they bought from you.

Plugin Contributions

I'd agree. Anytime I have a pop-up appear after I checkout, I assume it's one of those scams which hide an opt-in agreement in the part of a scrollable EULA you can't see, and an OK button clearly displayed. Often they're for a 'free' gift or some sort of survey.

I think it's better to include any offers or requests for opinions in the body of your site. Most people have a negative reaction to any sort of pop-up, and many of us block them, anyway.

Plugin Contributions

I realize on face value this sounds like a undesirable feature. However, I recently read Mitch Meyerson's (Guerilla Marketing author) "Mastering Online Marketing" where he was now the second Online Guru to state a pop up box for someone prematurely exiting was a great idea, the first was Seth Godin. Your getting one last chance to get something form an abandoning visitor, so not much to lose. And both of these guys are hugely successful online entrepreneurs and I think it could be a great feature if it only grabs 5% of users who leave my site. Particularly, if they tell me WHY they left.

So, I guess no one knows if there is a capability to do this in Zen. Anyone, other then opinions on the idea itself??

Plugin Contributions

I'd Google for 'javascript popup' and when I found a script that seemed to do what I wanted, come back here for advice about calling it from Zencart. I'm no programmer, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    I realize on face value this sounds like a undesirable feature. However, I recently read Mitch Meyerson's (Guerilla Marketing author) "Mastering Online Marketing" where he was now the second Online Guru to state a pop up box for someone prematurely exiting was a great idea, the first was Seth Godin. Your getting one last chance to get something form an abandoning visitor, so not much to lose. And both of these guys are hugely successful online entrepreneurs and I think it could be a great feature if it only grabs 5% of users who leave my site. Particularly, if they tell me WHY they left.

So, I guess no one knows if there is a capability to do this in Zen. Anyone, other then opinions on the idea itself??
    I have stumbled on this thread and i know its old, i have to agree with Kevin...its something i want to impliment on my site too, as he said there is nothing to lose, if people are ready to leave your website they are already pissed off for some reason, im my experience people who are already pissed off will give you the truth if its presented in front of them at that time.

Kevin - did you manage to get anything working?

Does anyone know where i can put an onUnload body tag or something so that no matter what page a user is on it will run a javascript function (which i can then program to load a page on exit)

thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lukelloyd View Post
    I have stumbled on this thread and i know its old, i have to agree with Kevin...its something i want to impliment on my site too, as he said there is nothing to lose, if people are ready to leave your website they are already pissed off for some reason, im my experience people who are already pissed off will give you the truth if its presented in front of them at that time.

Kevin - did you manage to get anything working?

Does anyone know where i can put an onUnload body tag or something so that no matter what page a user is on it will run a javascript function (which i can then program to load a page on exit)

thanks
    It is absolutely a good idea. But, you have to remember (which I found out), you are better off asking in marketing forums. This forum is primarily for techies of Zen Cart, not really “marketing” thinking folks. I did try a couple exit boxes including a survey box (I think survey monkey). I will get back with a few other things I tried. Funny, I was just thinking to implement this again for Christmas season. No special Zen help, needed. The solutions I tried were cart independent.

Plugin Contributions

....duplicated for some reason - sorry
    Last edited by lukelloyd; 10 Nov 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: duplicated for some reason - sorry

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah if you find anything you have used in the past that worked i would be interested in knowing what it was, i think thats half the battle, there is always something somewhere but its knowing what works!!

Ill have a look aswell and if i find anything useful ill let you know, feel free to email me luke [AT] business-reply [DOT] co [DOT] uk

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lukelloyd View Post
    Actually there could be any number of reasons for ppl to leave your site, I often browse several different stores when looking to purchase something to compare prices, shipping costs etc....I can guarantee you that if upon leaving one of those sites to check out another I got a popup....you would not get my return business and I doubt I am alone in my thoughts on that.

It says in one of the quotes that using the popup may grab 5% of ppl leaving your site to answer as to why, what if conversely it drives away 5% of ppl who would have come back to purchase something? I know what I would choose to sacrifice...just some food for thought :)
    HunnyBee Design
    "A man's manners are a mirror in which he shows his portrait." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast