Plugin Contributions

Default UPS Shipping Module - UPS Pickup Method

In the configuration for the UPS shipping module, one of the values that is set up is the UPS Pickup Method. Choices are CC - Customer Counter, RDP - Daily Pickup, OTP - One Time Pickup, LC - Letter Center, OCA - On Call Air. There does not appear to be a setting for Dropping off prepaid packages, which is what we do. The calculations are higher than they should be when we use CC as the setting.

I notice in the code for the usps.php modules that there are a couple of other values that can be passed in setting this up -- 6 and 0. But there is no definition given for what the "6" or "0" mean. I was wondering if one of these might be for the Drop off Prepaid Package method of getting the packages to UPS, which would result in a lower calculated rate.

Does anyone know if there is a value for Dropping off Prepaid Packages that can be passed in the UPS quote request?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPS Shipping Module - UPS Pickup Method

How many packages do you ship per week with UPS?

I used to drop mine off until I knew that it only costs $10-13 per week for daily pickup. With the cost of fuel now and my time is valuable anyway, why waste both?

CC is what you want, also add $1 or $2 as the handling fee to offset any variations in shipping charges.
    Cheers!
    v158A & 2.0+

Plugin Contributions

Hello, webskipper, thanks for the response. Actually our UPS volume varies a lot, some weeks we don't have any, some weeks it may jump to 10-12, usually it's about 3-4. But our drop off is only a couple of miles away, and on our way, so it's not a problem.

The problem is that using CC causes the shipping cost to be substantially higher that what is calculated on the UPS site, and we've had customers mention it to us. Using '6' drops the Zencart calculation down to very close towhat the UPS site says it should be, but I'd really like to know what the definitions for 0 and 6 are, and any possible ramifications, before putting it into production.

If anyone can clarify those, it would sure help.

Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

I'd say CC is right because I have had to pay fees to locations the ship.
    I'd like to know what 0 and 6 are for.
    Cheers!
    v158A & 2.0+

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
    I'd say CC is right because I have had to pay fees to locations the ship.
    I'd like to know what 0 and 6 are for.
    Those two codes may not be documented anywhere, but in the install code in UPS.php, where the valid values for the pickup type are set, is:
    $db->Execute("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('UPS Pickup Method', 'MODULE_SHIPPING_UPS_PICKUP', 'CC', 'How do you give packages to UPS? CC - Customer Counter, RDP - Daily Pickup, OTP - One Time Pickup, LC - Letter Center, OCA - On Call Air', '6', '0', now())");

So I would assume UPS knows what the '6' & '0' values are, and calculates accordingly.

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Plugin Contributions

6 is the configuration_group_id and 0 is the sort_order ... that is internal to Zen Cart ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    6 is the configuration_group_id and 0 is the sort_order ... that is internal to Zen Cart ...
    Thanks, Linda ... so that means, if we set the code to "6" that we aren't passing UPS any usable pickup method? So their rate calculation may produce a random value, instead of an actual shipping cost?

I'm wondering if anyone else has found a difference between the UPS site calculation and the ZC UPS calculation?

Maybe we should experiment with zeroing the handling charge to get the shipping cost down closer to what the UPS site figures it to be?

Plugin Contributions

Usually price differences are related to Machinable and non-machinable rates ...

NOTE: Those two settings are just used to get the constants to run right in the Admin ... so don't play with them ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

OK, we'll stay away from the '0' & '6' values, and look at it from your machinable/non-machinable suggestion.

Thanks much,