Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Newbie - Please verify my understanding

I have a very basic static html/css site with 6 pages. Only 1 of the 6 pages have the need for zen cart integration. I'm thinking that I should create EZPages for the static pages, but for the 1 page listing a few products and service...what is best (not necessarily the easiest)?

Should I create a custom template for the 1 page or make it an EZPage as well, and just make the 'add to cart' buttons link to zen cart with a custom template to match the rest of the EZPage designs.

I apologize if this is a redundant post or if there are a million similar posts already. Without knowing the right terminology, I have been blindly searching the FAQ and forum for about a week without being able together a clear scope.

thanks,
    Will

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Newbie - Please verify my understanding

A site with an e-commerce component requires quite a few pages. Pages for listing products, pages for checking out (e.g. customer info, payment info, shipping), pages for account maintenance, pages for terms of use, privacy, shipping info, returns, etc.

If your site has only a few static informational pages (5 by the sounds of it), then I'd recommend building your whole site in Zen Cart, using, as you suggest, EZ-Pages as a quick and easy way of getting that informational material in.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the fast reply!

That makes sense and I probably didn't do such a great job of explaining myself. That's exactly what I was getting at -- keep my site and zen cart separate or integrate my site into zen cart. What you described sounds like the way to go.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but for now I'll start digging through the EZPage FAQ pages.

thanks again,
    Will

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Kuroi is right.

If your current site is just a few pages, then it's much easier to integrate those pages into ZC, than to try to do it the other way around.

Plugin Contributions

What's the difference between the define pages editor and the ezpages?

Plugin Contributions

EZ-Pages allow you to construct a whole page using an HTML editor. The define_pages manager allows you to edit a block that has been pre-created outside the editor and inserted into a page that has been also been built externally.

The Define Pages editor name made for sense before EZ-Pages was added and usurped it. It still has a minor role for maintaining a few sometimes important areas, such as the top of the center column, but EZ-Pages is probably going to be much more significant for you.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

I guess the other differences at the moment are that the define pages editor can be used for multi-lingual sites and you can have difference define pages blocks per template, whereas for EZ-Pages you would need an add-in module to make them multi-lingual and they are the same for all templates.

Plugin Contributions

Kuroi,
    I had already used the "define pages editor" to create the main page for my site. Then after your replies, I began adding a handful of EZPages. How can I link to those from my main page? I tried "<php echo zen_ez_pages_link(page ID, chapter number, page is SSL [true/false], open new window [true/false], return full url [true/false]); ?>" from the FAQ, but the PHP isn't being parsed. I'm guessing that the "define pages editor" doesn't store that content as a .php file so it's not being interpreted by PHP.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    Will

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

The content of an EZ page, as well as a Define Page, are all standard HTML. You don't need to worry about php here. Hyperlinks will be the standard <a href.....>

You can even create the page content in an wysiwyg html editor, copy the source code and paste it in to the define pages editor (after making sure to "toggle" to html mode. In HTMLArea the menu symbol is <>).

Just be careful not to put in html page HEADERS if you do this. Just copy and paste code that sits INSIDE the <body> </body> tags.

Plugin Contributions

So how exactly do I link to an ezpage? You say that I should use an anchor tag, but what is the URL?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast