Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Remove (not turn off) Search Header Field

Hello, Zenners!

I have searched and searched through all the posts but cannot find out how to actually remove the search text box and button from the very top of the header.
    Most posts deal with simply being able to turn it off using the admin tools, but I want to remove the search entry field and button so that the header bar actually remains in place. I want to do this for two reasons:
    - aesthetics (my site simply looks better with the top header bar intact), and
    - I like the search box (with link to advanced search) in the side box, and I think it looks funny with two search fields per page.

I've toyed with the tpl_header in both the includes/templates/template_default/common and includes/templates/my-template/common folders, but to no avail. Posts to the template forum (Silverfish) yielded no results.

It would also be an acceptable solution to get the side box search with advanced search link in the header bar, as long as I could still remove it from the side box.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Remove (not turn off) Search Header Field

Did you already try Admin Panel -> Tools -> Layout Boxes Controller -> sideboxes/search_header.php
    Cheers!
    v2.0+

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
    Did you already try Admin Panel -> Tools -> Layout Boxes Controller -> sideboxes/search_header.php
    Thanks for replying, Webskipper. However, if you re-read the post, you'll find that I want to leave the actual header bar in place; I just want to remove the search text box and accompanying button:

"Most posts deal with simply being able to turn it off using the admin tools, but I want to remove the search entry field and button so that the header bar actually remains in place.."

Using the admin tools totally turns off the entire header bar (the dark blue horizontal area in which the the search box and button resides):

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DBB1 View Post
    Thanks for replying, Webskipper. However, if you re-read the post, you'll find that I want to leave the actual header bar in place; I just want to remove the search text box and accompanying button:

"Most posts deal with simply being able to turn it off using the admin tools, but I want to remove the search entry field and button so that the header bar actually remains in place.."

Using the admin tools totally turns off the entire header bar (the dark blue horizontal area in which the the search box and button resides):
    No takers? I would have thought someone would have known how to do this...

Regards

Plugin Contributions

No problem...... been hacking away.

the name or your shop>includes>templates>the name of your template>common>tpl_header.php and then around line 63:
    Remove this code.

<div id="navMainSearch"><?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); ?></div>

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by usernamenone View Post
    No problem...... been hacking away.

the name or your shop>includes>templates>the name of your template>common>tpl_header.php and then around line 63:
    Remove this code.

<div id="navMainSearch"><?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); ?></div>
    Thanks, Usernamenone. Unfortunately, I've tried commenting out several lines within the navMainSearch block, with varying results. Commenting out the entire line as you have it throws the entire page out of kilter, while commenting out an addional <div> block has the same effect as simply turning off the header bar from within the admin controls.

Looking at the tpl_header file that came with the Zen distribution reveals that my template author totally re-worked this particular section (the statement you mention occurs around line 43 for me). I had posed this question in that forum some time back with no luck resolving it, so there must be some major differences for the author to decide not to tackle my problem. I don't know how common this kind of thing is with template creation, but I am now wondering how much other (seemingly base) functionality make have gotten whacked in this thing.

I'm not much of a php developer, but I guess I'm going to have to try to merge the two files to see if I can get it where I want it to be.

Thanks again for the assist!

Plugin Contributions

That chunk of code need to be removed and not commented out. hand the code of your header over to me and I will fix it for you.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by usernamenone View Post
    That chunk of code need to be removed and not commented out. hand the code of your header over to me and I will fix it for you.
    Jeez thanks, Usernamenone! Very generous of you, indeed! The Silverfish tpl_header file is attached (as a .txt extension).

I have tried totally removing the statements you mentioned, but that only served to remove the top header bar completely.

Thanks, again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plugin Contributions

remove line 42-46

<div id="navMainSearch">
    <div id="searchBox">
    <?php require(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'sideboxes/search_header.php'); ?>
    </div>
    </div>

you can replace the search box with text by this

<div id="navMainSearch">
    <div id="searchBox">
    <p>Welcome to our site!</p>
    </div>
    </div>

Plugin Contributions

Two lines in your stylesheet will take care of this without touching any php files. Find in your main stylesheet
    Code:
    #navMainSearch {
    	width: 100%; 
    	background-color: #1D5685;
    	/*
    	background-image: url(http://images.ciao.com/ide/images/tabs/bg_search_40px.gif);
    	*/
    	float: right;
    	}

#searchBox {
    	}
    Add
    height: 21px;
    to
    #navMainSearch
    and change