Thread: Big Help Needed

Plugin Contributions

Default Big Help Needed

I really need big help in the most BASIC setup. I have just downloaded filezilla (cos my host said i needed a FTP client) to put my ZenCart into!.
    Anyway I have filezilla sitting there on my desktop along with an unzipped Zencart. Try as i might - but I just can't upload Zencart into filezilla. How do i do this, in the most simple steps possible.
    I've built a fab site (www.onceuponaparty.co.uk) which has been running for many years and now i want a shopping cart on it. But I cant even do this first simple step of uploading, via FTP, the whole programme into a diercetory!. Please help as soooo eager to get going with Zencart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Big Help Needed

Does your host offer a control panel program, like CPanel?
    Last edited by stevesh; 7 Jun 2008 at 02:40 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Does your host offer a control panel program, like CPanel?
    Yes I have a control panel. I'm hosted with simply.com. Do I need to access it all from there then?

Plugin Contributions

Run FileZilla. Near the top, there is an area that has 4 boxes. In the first, labelled 'Host', enter the name of your site (ex. 'mysite.com').

In the next box, labelled 'Username', enter your user name for your site (usually the same user name you would enter to access your control panel).

In the third box, labelled 'Password', enter your site's password (again, probably the same as your control panel).

4. Click on the 'Quickconnect' button.

If everything is correct, Filezilla will connect to your website.

The area below the login boxes just shows you what Filezilla and the server are saying to each other. Unless there's a problem, you can ignore that.

Below that, on the left, labelled 'Local site' is your local computer's directory tree (same stuff you see in Windows Explorer). On the right, labelled 'Remote site' is your website's directory tree.

In the top box on the right, there will usually be a folder with a + to the left of it. Click the + to expand the tree. One of the folders below will, in most cases, be public_html. This is your 'root' directory. Create a new folder under public_html for your Zencart installation.

Find the Zencart zip file in the Local site and drag it to the directory you created on your website.

Open a browser, go to your site's control panel and open the File Manager.

Find the folder you made and the Zencart zip file, highlight the file, and click on Extract. (It may be called something else).

After the zip file unzips, go back to Filezilla, refresh it, and the files should be in public_html/yournewfolder/zen-cart-v1.38a-full-fileset -somedate.zip

Select that folder, and move (drag and drop) all the files and folders to your folder, then delete the (now empty) zen-cart-v1.38 folder

Then you're ready to go here - https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=107 and install Zencart

(This is the best I can do without knowing how your host and control panel work exactly - you may have to adapt these instructions to your site.)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Steve

That was so very helpful. Your step by step instructions were so easy to follow. I think i had downloaded the wrong filezilla so i deleted it and downloaded again and got the correct one!! Silly me!!.
    Anyway - bit of a stalemate at mo as i'm waiting for my old host to change the name servers for my new host which is taking them forever. As soon as they have done that then it will be all systems go with installing zencart, Cant wait.
    Once gain Steve, a very big thank you and i will no doubt be calling on you again for my next stage of frustration!!
    Sherrill