Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Left column briefly shifting to the center of the page

Howdy folks!

I have searched the forums to find a solution to this issue and although I have found threads with resolutions for others, the resolutions don't seem to be working for me When I browse through our site at http://www.littletoycompany.com the left category column shifts to the center of the page very briefly and then it moves to the correct position. It happens randomly and it seems to only happen in Firefox. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks!!!!
    Janice

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Left column briefly shifting to the center of the page

PLEEEEASE....Somebody, anybody....HELLLLPPP!!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Well, if you run your site through the W3C validator, you'll find that it says you've got some problems.

Namely your site is huge and the page draws slowly and that is part of the reason the column jumps ... the jumping more of an illusion than actually being the problem. Optimizing your images will help the page draw faster, and the jump won't be seen the same as you describe now.

Plugin Contributions

That centering is caused by a margin: auto; property in your stylesheet. It is in the default version, but you really don't need it unless you are going to have the sidebar centered in a larger space.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Well, if you run your site through the W3C validator, you'll find that it says you've got some problems.

Namely your site is huge and the page draws slowly and that is part of the reason the column jumps ... the jumping more of an illusion than actually being the problem. Optimizing your images will help the page draw faster, and the jump won't be seen the same as you describe now.
    Hi Chuck, Thank you SO much for the input. I did run my site through the W3C Validator and corrected most of the 7 errors. There are some errors in the body that cause other problems if I correct them...kinda weird...but at least I was able to correct most of them

I have downloaded Image Handler 2 to try to resolve the huge page issue so hopefully I can get the page size down so that it loads in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Janice

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    That centering is caused by a margin: auto; property in your stylesheet. It is in the default version, but you really don't need it unless you are going to have the sidebar centered in a larger space.
    Hi Glenn,

You are exactly right! I played around with the margin: auto and it is absolutely the problem My only problem is when I remove the margin: auto from the css the whole page gets left aligned. That isn't a problem for most people as the page is 1024px wide but for folks like me who have a wide screen it looks funny for the page to be left aligned so I am now on a search for how to remove the margin: auto and still have the page centered.

Thank you SOOO much for your help!! It's so cool to have folks like you on the forum who are willing to share their knowledge!!

Janice

Plugin Contributions

The margin: auto; in your stylesheet is applied to #mainWrapper as well as the sidebars. It is necessary on #mainWrapper, so you need to separate the selectors. Find this:
    Code:
    #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper, #mainWrapper {
    	margin: auto;
    	}
    and change to this:
    Code:
    #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper {

}
    #mainWrapper {
    	}
    You can delete the #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper declaration if you have no other properties for them.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you thank you THANK YOU Glenn! You ROCK!!! I followed your instructions and it worked! I am so jazzed!!! I can actually sleep tonight

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me resolve this problem

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    The margin: auto; in your stylesheet is applied to #mainWrapper as well as the sidebars. It is necessary on #mainWrapper, so you need to separate the selectors. Find this:
    Code:
    #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper, #mainWrapper {
        }
    and change to this:
    Code:
    #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper {

}
    #mainWrapper {
        }
    You can delete the #navColumnOneWrapper, #navColumnTwoWrapper declaration if you have no other properties for them.

Plugin Contributions

I am still just amazed with your skills Glenn!! What the heck do you do for a living that you would know how to resolve this problem when over 100 others looked at it and couldn't tell me what to do??? (that's a rhetorical question )

That is VERY impressive!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Actually, this one only required reasonable competence in CSS, though a solid understanding of the Zen Cart stylesheet allowed me to answer quickly. There have been much more difficult problems that I am happy to have been able to solve.

As for what I do for a living, look at my site (though I spend far too much time haunting this forum instead of making jewelry;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast