Plugin Contributions

help question One ? about moving site to new server

In the tutorial found here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=100

it says to "upload your OLD files over the NEW files" (with the obvious configure.php exceptions). At risk of sounding like a total idiot, can I literally

a) replace every single folder/file with those of my previous store (with the aforementioned exceptions,) or
    b) go through, folder-by-folder and figure out what I've modified (mostly just template files) and only replace those?

I'd obviously prefer a, in which case I'd replace the entire directory (/store), and then re-replace the old configure.php files I just uploaded with the new store's ones (which were created during the new install) I backed up before replacing everything, however I can't help but think there's code in some of those files specific to the old server (and I'm talking about stuff other than hard links I may have put in page elements, which I'll obviously fix)' which will break things.

If it's b, egad. I guess I get to start with stuff in 'my' folders, and then, through testing and trial and error, figure out which are the other 'special files' I've modified. :-/

Please advise, I tend to assume too much about instructions, and "upload your OLD files over the NEW files" leaves WAY to much to the imagination in my world. :-)

Finally, is there anything special I need to do to get product photos to re-link, or will that just work after I've done the database import and zc transfer?
    Thanks in advance!

-Dan

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: One ? about moving site to new server

The idea is that you will create a new (latest version) installation on the NEW server location. That will give you a standard, classic template version of Zencart.

Then, you'll upload to that new install the 'old' files. If you've done the override thing right, your OLD override folders and files will be created in the NEW installation, leaving you with a current version install which contains all your changes from the OLD Zencart site.

Yes, you will have to edit the config files, and if you've modified any core files (not overridable) then you'll have to edit those.