Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default What is the difference between the 3 PayPal Modules?

I am trying to setup a store for my Dad. He has a Paypal business account. He also has a merchant account through another provider. He processes his credit account orders off line as he does not have a gateway. I am confused about what to setup and what the differences are between paypal IPN, Website Payments pro and Express Checkout?

Also once one of these are setup how do I test it?

thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What is the difference between the 3 PayPal Modules?

IPN = Website Payments Standard = collect payment from customers who have or don't have a PayPal account. Transactions are completed only after PayPal's server tells your server that it's done. Sometimes this can be finicky.

Express Checkout = collect payment from customers who have or sign up for a PayPal account. Transactions are completed immediately.

Website Payments Pro = Express Checkout and Gateway. The gateway allows for live processing of credit cards regardless of whether the customer has a paypal account. The customer will not know PayPal was even involved. Transactions are completed immediately. Monthly subscription fee applies.

Testing? Doing a transaction is the easiest way to see that it works. You can refund it when you're done so that you're not "out" by the money.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Brillient Answer Dr. Byte
    Short and conclusive
    it would be greate if you have included some live examples of each payment system.
    but still usefull info.
    thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Difference in Paypal Pro and express ?

Will someone explain what is the difference in the Paypal website pay Pro,
    Paypal IPN and
    Express checkout modules ?

Are all 3 needed ?
    if so which should be the default ?

Does the Pro support that I have a virtual terminal with Paypal for credit cards ?

If One is better then the other should I delete or just turn other 2 of them off ?

Does one support both credit cards and paypal account users ?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Difference in Paypal Pro and express ?

1. PayPal Express Checkout - lets you accept payments from PayPal, with immediate order completion. They confirm the final purchase amount on your site after logging in to their PayPal account and coming back to complete the order. Customers can pay via the credit card or bank account tied to their PayPal account or with funds already in their PayPal account.
    2. PayPal Website Payments Standard (aka IPN) - lets you accept payments from PayPal, but orders aren't "completed" until PayPal's servers talk to your server to complete the transaction (which happens in the background after the customer completes payment on PayPal's site). They confirm the final purchase amount on your site before going off to PayPal's site to log in and authorize the payment. Customers can pay via credit card, or with funds already in their PayPal account or connected bank account.
    3. PayPal Website Payments Pro - is only used to accept credit card payments directly on your own site. You collect the CC details on your site and submit them to PayPal behind-the-scenes. The customer does not know it's PayPal handling the transaction. This is just like any traditional credit card gateway. If using this module, you must also enable Express Checkout.
    4. Virtual Terminal -- You can only use VT to process credit card numbers given to you from your customers via phone or some other means. Zen Cart does not utilize VT -- that's something you would do manually, typically for telephone orders, not for online orders.

Due to similarity in function, it would be pointless to enable both the Express and Standard modules at the same time. Pick the one you prefer, and use that.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    IPN = Website Payments Standard = collect payment from customers who have or don't have a PayPal account. Transactions are completed only after PayPal's server tells your server that it's done. Sometimes this can be finicky.

Express Checkout = collect payment from customers who have or sign up for a PayPal account. Transactions are completed immediately.

Website Payments Pro = Express Checkout and Gateway. The gateway allows for live processing of credit cards regardless of whether the customer has a paypal account. The customer will not know PayPal was even involved. Transactions are completed immediately. Monthly subscription fee applies.

Testing? Doing a transaction is the easiest way to see that it works. You can refund it when you're done so that you're not "out" by the money.
    Sorry I posted another thread on this but I am confused.

I have a Paypal virtual terminal account ( for credit cards) and also need to support those customers that are paying with their paypal account which of the 3 ( also paypal IPN ) has to be functional, deleted or turned off ?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I've merged your related posts into this thread, including my reply to your other post.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I've merged your related posts into this thread, including my reply to your other post.
    I turned off IPN (standard)
    Have Express and pro turned ON but checkout shows the customer twice credit card input
    not knowing which is which,
    How do I get rid of one of these ?

Credit Card

Card Owner's Name:
    Card Number:
    Expiration Date: January - (01) February - (02) March - (03) April - (04) May - (05) June - (06) July - (07) August - (08) September - (09) October - (10) November - (11) December - (12) 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
    CVV Number (More Info)

Credit Card

Cardholder First Name:
    Cardholder Last Name:
    Card Number:
    Card Expiry Date: January - (01) February - (02) March - (03) April - (04) May - (05) June - (06) July - (07) August - (08) September - (09) October - (10) November - (11) December - (12) 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
    CVV Number:

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by teamzr1 View Post
    Have Express and pro turned ON but checkout shows the customer twice credit card input
    not knowing which is which,
    How do I get rid of one of these ?
    One of them is likely the result of having the "Offline Credit Card" module enabled. Click on the Remove button to turn it off completely.

Plugin Contributions

Just wanted to say to Dr. Byte that your explanation of the different forms of PayPal and how they work are helpful. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast