Plugin Contributions

Default Upgraded to MySQL 5.1 - now some sites can't login

Hello,

I am working with a couple of websites which are running Zen Cart 1.3.5 and 1.3.7 respectively.

We have just recently completed an upgrade of the entire webserver to MySQL v5.1 and now those two zen sites cannot login (a newer site using 1.3.9 works fine). We cannot log in to the admin panels, and users cannot login to their accounts to get to their shopping carts or complete purchases.

I have tried resetting the passwords using phpmyadmin for both admin panel and user accounts, and nothing has worked. I also tried using the MySQL OLDPASSWORD function thinking that maybe they needed the old mysql password style, but that didn't work either. I ran database checks on each table and they all come back ok.

These sites are pretty heavily customized and upgrading them to 1.3.9 would be a large undertaking. Is there a way to make the logins work with their current setups?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgraded to MySQL 5.1 - now some sites can't login

These sites are pretty heavily customized and upgrading them to 1.3.9 would be a large undertaking. Is there a way to make the logins work with their current setups?
    You need to upgrade. the older versions of Zen Cart are open to some severe exploits.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hello Kim and thank you for your response. I know that the optimal solution is to upgrade both sites. However that will take a long time as they are not high priorities in our work load right now. So is there any way to bandage them together until we can get that done so that they don't lose sales in the meantime?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ambition View Post
    Hello Kim and thank you for your response. I know that the optimal solution is to upgrade both sites. However that will take a long time as they are not high priorities in our work load right now. So is there any way to bandage them together until we can get that done so that they don't lose sales in the meantime?
    Your fastest bandage would be to downgrade your MySQL.
    That of course is not a "solution", since there's good reason for the upgrade being the right ultimate direction to go.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Wow. Downgrading MySQL is pretty much impossible and would require complete server reinstallation along with all of the sites on the server (a lot). There is no easier way to just make it work until we can upgrade to 1.3.9?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but it would have been prudent to check for compatibility before doing the upgrade.

If you look back through the Zen Cart release history, you'll see that proactive steps were being taken all the way through the many releases to become more and more compatible with newer MySQL versions. Your v1.3.5 sites are running on ZC code written in 2006, and at that time MySQL 5.0 was only in early stages, with 5.1 hardly even in a concept stage in private development with the folks over at MySQL.

Zen Cart v1.3.5 is officially no longer supported. It's 5 years old. LOTS of code changes have happened since then. And, sorry, quite frankly, it'll be MUCH FASTER to do an upgrade than it will to study every nuance of every line of code to determine what specific incompatibilities exist in which queries. I know, because I was involved in upgrading many of those queries to be compatible with MySQL 5.1 over time. If were just one or two lines of code to change, I'd tell you. But it's more like several hundred.

Sorry, I can't bail you out of this server upgrade oversight.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah I was afraid it might be a long shot. At least now I can tell my customers that the maker of their script said they had to upgrade. :) Thank you for all of your help.