Plugin Contributions

Default Moving customer data question...

Hi,

When moving all customer data, including cust login email address and password, over to a fresh install of Zen Cart, will their login passwords remain intact?

I am using Apsona for uploading store data...the password field shows in their upload utility, I was wondering if I copy it over, will it remain unchanged in a fresh install of zc? I can see the encrypted customers_password field in the customers table in the db.

The data is from a zc 1.38 store and I'm moving to a 1.5
    Happy to be a Zen Cart Monthly Donor! :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving customer data question...

I've told you in SEVERAL other threads, that YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT LIKE THAT!!!!!!

You CANNOT merely blindly copy data from a 1.3.8 database to a 1.5.0 database.

USE THE ZC_INSTALL DATABASE-UPGRADE option. That's the safest, and only supported, way of doing this.

ANY OTHER APPROACH YOU USE is ON YOUR OWN, and VERY likely to result in MANY PROBLEMS ... and needless additional requests for help to fix the mess you create.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I think you may have mis understood the question.

I am not blindly trying to copy raw data from the raw database tables into a different store raw database tables.

I am simply trying to import customer data (only customer data) into a new store, using the Apsona import - export mod. Not by editing or copying and pasting raw data into the database tables.

For my particular situation, I did not have the luxury of doing a simple store upgrade from a 1.3.8 store to a 1.5 store, on the same server. Not all scenarios would fit a simple 1.3.8a upgrade to a 1.5 upgrade.

Are you suggesting that by using Apsona to import customer data, that the store will crash?
    Last edited by nadsab; 20 Mar 2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Happy to be a Zen Cart Monthly Donor! :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I can't speak for Apsona. You'll need to ask them your questions related to using their tools.

As for upgrading, I don't recall telling you that you had to upgrade on the old server. I *did* tell you that the safest way to do an upgrade is with a COMPLETE copy of your database, and NOT A PARTIAL one, not selectively picking-and-choosing just a few tables to bring over. Exceptions are only relevant if you already possess all the skills to handle the data properly. And thus, even the fact that we're having this discussion confirms that you've not got enough understanding of the underlying infrastructure to safely do that sort of thing ... and is exactly why we ALWAYS tell people to work with their complete database. I've told you this several times already. And you keep making me tell you over and over again.
    You will, of course, do whatever you want. And deal with the consequences.

Simply stated: if you don't have the tools or the skills, then you should not be using any other process than that which has been recommended by the developers. Anything else puts you in the position of subjecting your store to possible corrupt data, incomplete data, unexpected incorrect functionality, etc.

Apologies for stating things emphatically. It is important that all who read this, now and in the future, know the importance of treating the database as an entity, not something to split up selectively.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.