Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

bug EZ Pages Disable Left Column / Full Width Question

Dear Forum,

I have some general questions regarding the removal of content areas from EZ pages via the Administrative Control Panel. Here are my efforts, results & questions, step by step, and thanks for mulling this over with me:

I create an EZ page, then deselect the left column display for the page in EZ Pages Settings, view the page, and yes, the left column content disappears, but the overall width doesnt change, as expected. I also tried this using the default template and got the same puzzling result, the column disappears but yields no increase in usable main content width.

-----------------

It would be counterintuitive to think that disabling the left column content would do nothing to increase the overall content width of the page, that is, if the left column is disabled, why on earth would the resulting free space remain unusable? The whole point to this layout function in EZ Pages Settings is to free up content space, right? Or am I missing something?

-----------------

My questions, then, are these:

1.] Does disabling the left column free up space or just leave a blank column that cant hold content / is wasted space?

2.] If the space is blank but unusable, what is the most sensible workaround to produce a fully Administrator editable & fillable main content dimension spanning the entire width of the page?

3.] If we must resort to #2 instead of the named option [ie; 'EZ Pages to disable left-column'] in EZ Pages Settings, I see this as an obvious bug. Where / to whom do I report this?

Many Thanks Yall-

Trout

-----------------

Zencart 1.5.0
    Installation: New
    Template: EstoreNow and Classic Contemporary Green
    Example URL: http://apthwellness.com/apothecary/i...page=page&id=3

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: EZ Pages Disable Left Column / Full Width Question

Disabling the left column should free the space for the center column to expand into it. If it is not working for you, let us see a site where this is happening, with details on what you did, and perhaps we can diagnose the issue.

Plugin Contributions

Nevermind, I see you did just that.
    You have set the behavior yourself:

stylesheet.css (line 308)

#navColumnCenter {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    float: right;
    margin-right: 5px;
    width: 765px;
    }

Plugin Contributions

Wow- Thanks for the quick shout back, very cool-

I did look at this in the template css at 308, but the code was already there, that is:
    ---------------------------------------
    #navColumnCenter {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    float: right;
    margin-right: 5px;
    width: 765px;
    }
    ---------------------------------------
    should I try this in another css elsewhere in the system? did I hit the right css?

and again, I dont want to do this for the entire site, just on selected EZ Pages through the CP-

Please advise, and thanks again for the help-

Trout-

Plugin Contributions

Estorenow and the related templates on my Demo 3 site are tricky and behave a little like a TM template: you just don't go in to the admin and turn on or off columns. I've had trouble myself in trying to turn off columns for homepage only. They go off but center content doesn't fully fill in.

gjh42, I'll take a look at your css fix, thanks.
    Steve
    prommart.com

Plugin Contributions

For what its worth, the default template also displays the same puzzling behavior, not just good ol' EstoreNow.

I also tried it with Alyssa and got the same result, making three templates tota, one of which ships with ZenCart itself, that do the same annoying trick....

Again, thanks to anybody that can sort this out, I'll owe you a Beer....

Plugin Contributions

The CSS I posted is not a fix, it is what is causing the problem in that template. Just deleting the declaration would not be a good idea, as it is probably needed for some other pages.

Can we see a site with the default Classic template active, which also has the same behavior?

Plugin Contributions

well, fooey-

http://apthwellness.com/apothecary/i...page=page&id=3
    now it works in the default for some reason??!?
    well thats good I guess, sort of. Coulda sworn I tried it there!

OK, wellll- I guess my question now is....

Does anybody know a template like Estore, ie; Crisp top css banner slide with URLs and a nice slim menu up top + clean stuff the rest of the way? Free would ne nice too, ha ha-

Thanks for bearing with me yall-

Trout-

PS If anybody knows a good crow recipie, thats what on the menu at my place tonight, and Beer, my treat-

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    The CSS I posted is not a fix, it is what is causing the problem in that template. Just deleting the declaration would not be a good idea, as it is probably needed for some other pages.
    Misread last night, sorry.
    Steve
    prommart.com

Plugin Contributions

Trout,

Recently I noticed that the Estorenow and related templates on my Demo 3 site are essentially the Classic template in the header. Use the template switcher to see the 3 related templates:

http://www.prom-mart.com/demo-3/inde...h_id=estorenow

Especially while looking at the third - Digitalshop - that really IS the Classic template in it's general look. But inside it's guts, I also haven't yet been successful turning off the columns for homepage only. So I dropped it's banner1 down, setting it for homepage only, and set the slider in it.

I did re-enable the Classic header 2 banner and tagline on Bluecart and Digital shop. As for Estorenow, it looks like he was planning on adding a drop down menu (and I did briefly see it's regular horizontal categories, which appeared below the EZpages top bar.)

Even my new Webdivision site is the Classic template restyled only with the stylesheet from the Barebones template, turning off columns for homepage only, and putting on the Acoin slider.

http://www.webdivision.prommart.com/

Turning off or disabling the tagline, as Estorenow did, should make header even a little more narrow.

The main thing my template and Estorenow did was to get rid of the Classic's green category header and nav images and changed some colors. Especially with the top EZpages bar: color only (no bgimage) and made it a little larger.

Again, everything you're asking about re the header is the Classic template.

EDIT: Estorenow did add to the top Home Login area with the always expanded shopping cart. As I added my link at the top by Home on the Webdivision site.
    Last edited by SPH; 8 Jun 2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Steve
    prommart.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast