Plugin Contributions

Default Admin Resend Password goes to a 404 page

Hi.

We have one particular install that is still 1.3.9h. Everything works fine except for the RESEND PASSWORD link in the Admin page. If I click the resend password, I get redirected to a page not found.

Everything else works fine. The configure files have the correct settings. The fix cache key also says the same thing. But I still get the 404 page when I try to resend password in Admin (resend password in client area works fine).

I even tried removing htaccess to see if it's a redirect issue, and it still does it.

Much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Resend Password goes to a 404 page

The URL for the ADMIN password reset page is /name_of_your_admin_folder/password_forgotten.php
    If that file doesn't exist on your server, then it's no surprise that you would encounter a 404 page. In that case, put the file back onto your server.
    Same with any other file that triggers a 404 response.

Further, if your hosting company is super paranoid about old vulnerability problems from much older versions of Zen Cart, then maybe they've enabled some mod_security rules that prevent that URL from being used. They can turn that off for your site if you ask them nicely.

Of even more interest, however, is the reason why you're looking for a password reset in the first place.
    Did the password suddenly stop working one day when it worked fine the day before? If so, then you ought to ask yourself why.

I suspect that this 404 issue is only a surface symptom of other issues that are the real root things that need to be addressed. But without the history behind getting to this point, it's hard to direct you appropriately.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

thanks drByte. The file is actually there, with the right permissions.

The reason for the password reset is our client hosts a lot of sites with us, and he unfortunately forgotten his login for one particular site. When he tried to resend password, he got a 404. His other sites (all zencart sites) all work fine down to the admin password reset, he as a mixture of 1.5 and 1.3.9 sites, and this is the only one with such issue.

As for the host, we are the hosting company for our client. :) And with the many sites we host, this is the only site with the broken password reset link for admin.

Everything else with the site works fine :)

Please advice.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Okay.

First, to get your client up and running again, they can follow the password reset FAQ article, which I found by searching the FAQs area for "password": http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...rd-(i-lost-it)

Meanwhile, if you're the hosting company for the client, then you have plenty of server access logs and error logs which will explain in a lot more detail what is happening when clicking on that link. You also know that the only reason a 404 is triggered is if the server cannot find the file or if it is specifically denied by the server (permissions, security, htaccess, missing files, etc). It's an Apache (or whatever webserver engine you use) issue at that point, before PHP even fires. (While PHP can indeed be used to throw a 404 response, Zen Cart doesn't do that in the admin code, so unless there are addons involved that change the way Zen Cart works, this is not a Zen Cart specific issue.)

And if multiple files in that site are throwing a 404, as you said earlier, you'll need to figure that issue out as well, as it seems to be pointing to a broader problem.

If you really feel that it's an issue with this client's Zen Cart files, then I'd start with this: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

you misunderstood. everything works fine except for one file, which is adminfolder/password_forgotten.php. It get redirected to page_not_found.php. I checked the file, verified that it's there in his admin folder. I even tried editing the file and replaced with a simple echo, just to see if it will show up. alas, it still redirects to page_not_found.php even after I have disabled htaccess.

My last resort would be I will update him to 1.5. But I am puzzled right now why that particular file is not loading up. No redirects, and no errors in the logs.

His client side is working fine. Admin side is working fine as well, except for the resend password.

We use litespeed if that helps, although I doubt that it's server config as we have a lot of zencart installs in our servers and this is the only ne with such problem. It's not a major problem, but it's annoying as both my client and I know that the resend password is not working.

Also, he has admin access, I just had to manually reset his password.

btw, thanks for the reply :)

Plugin Contributions

fixed it.

apparently it was just an .htaccess issue, and the cache was not cleared. so even when we removed the htaccess we were still getting the page not found. Once we cleared cache it works.

thanks drbyte.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Apologies for the misunderstanding in the earlier post. I can see now where I had a couple things mixed up with other posts I'd been responding to and had too many scenarios in my mind so it made the problem seem broader than it was.

Glad to hear that it was a litespeed server-side issue and not a Zen Cart issue.

Always good to disable caching whenever encountering weird problems.