Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: admin suddenly super slow, web store randomly slow

Ok,
    the admin pages are all slow, whether I try to check who s online or any other tab, it s all slow, sometimes it loads part of it and hang in there with stuff waiting to download, or sometimes it's just a white page while it's taking ages to display the page I try to open.
    As for my webstore, I now realise it s not only the homepage, but it's randomly any page that can be slow, I just tried to open New & restock and it took quite a while...
    a friend of mine tried my web store and reported no issues...
    I unplugged my modem and restarted it, repaired my connection but still, same problem, and it s the same on internet explorer and firefox...
    I'm really lost here!
    Gotta try it after work in another location...
    As we speak I ve tried to access the who's online on the admin and it s been probably 5 mins of a white page with that small in progress green bar at the bottom, that doesn't seem to be moving fast at all..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Swingin' Sparrow View Post
    a friend of mine tried my web store and reported no issues....
    This is now pointing back to something 'local' to your home network/computer.

I unplugged my modem and restarted it, repaired my connection but still, same problem, and it s the same on internet explorer and firefox...
    I'm really lost here!
    Me too. That doesn't happen often. I wish I could offer some other advice or suggestion, but not a single thing comes to mind.

OK, ONE thing does come to mind... have you heard, or do you know about a tool called 'ping'? At this stage I'd being using this to perform a continuous 'ping' to your server address in one window, whilst invoking the problem with your browser in another window to see if there is any correlation between the 'ping' times and the slow server times. If there is, its a network problem, if not, its a server related problem. Still not a lot to go on, but it'll be one step closer to the cause.

Cheers
    Rod

ps. Checked again, still quite zippy. Parse Time: 0.267 - Number of Queries: 228 - Query Time: 0.12424363801575

Plugin Contributions

OK, ONE thing does come to mind... have you heard, or do you know about a tool called 'ping'? At this stage I'd being using this to perform a continuous 'ping' to your server address in one window, whilst invoking the problem with your browser in another window to see if there is any correlation between the 'ping' times and the slow server times. If there is, its a network problem, if not, its a server related problem. Still not a lot to go on, but it'll be one step closer to the cause.
    well I ve heard of ping before yes, though I don't really know much on the subject. What am I supposed to do to achieve what you said in
    using this to perform a continuous 'ping' to your server address in one window, whilst invoking the problem with your browser in another window to see if there is any correlation between the 'ping' times and the slow server times.
    I had to close the window for my admin, cos after more that 10 minutes of a white page trying to access the who's online page and going nowhere, with that small green progress bar not moving more I decided it would never load the page...

Plugin Contributions

You can "ping" your server from the DOS command prompt.

In MS Windows, in the START button, is a "search" field.

Type in cmd and hit enter key.

This will bring up a little black frame with the command prompt.

The cursor will be flashing... just type in ping YOUR-DOMAIN-NAME.COM

See how long the system takes to send the four "packets" to the server...

You can also trace the route of the link.

At the command prompt, type in tracert YOUR-DOMAIN-NAME.COM

This will show you how your router is connecting to the domain address, and how long each step is taking to connect.

When you are done DO NOT just close down the DOS pane.

Type exit at the command prompt to properly close the function.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

well I ve heard of ping before yes, though I don't really know much on the subject. What am I supposed to do to achieve what you said in "using this to perform a continuous 'ping' to your server address in one window, whilst invoking the problem with your browser in another window to see if there is any correlation between the 'ping' times and the slow server times"
    Ping is a network diagnostic tool that has been available on almost every computer system since the Internet was 1st created. It is a command line tool (although there are graphical interfaces for it). simply put, it sends a packet of data to a server and monitors how long it takes to get a response.

just type 'ping' on the command line and it'll produce a small help menu.

I had to close the window for my admin, cos after more that 10 minutes of a white page trying to access the who's online page and going nowhere, with that small green progress bar not moving more I decided it would never load the page...
    If a page ever takes more than a minute you can pretty much assume it's never going to complete (and even a minute is a lot longer than needed)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    so I tried that and when I type ping shop.fastnloud.com/zencart (my webstore is on a subdomain) I get this: Ping request could not find host shop.fastnloud.com/zencart. Please check the name and try again.
    Or am I in the right command thing? I clicked on start menu, and there is no search box so I used the run function that opens a black window where you can enter prompts, is that the one? I have windows xp...
    Last edited by Swingin' Sparrow; 8 Mar 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    so I tried that and when I type ping shop.fastnloud.com/zencart (my webstore is on a subdomain) I get this: Ping request could not find host shop.fastnloud.com/zencart. Please check the name and try again.
    Or am I in the right command thing? I clicked on start menu, and there is no search box so I used the run function that opens a black window where you can enter prompts, is that the one? I have windows xp...
    Try again, WITHOUT the /zencart

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Ok wihout the /zencart it worked, but how do I copy the results?

Plugin Contributions

I tried again to log in the admin on firefox, it was slow to access the login page once in, I tried to access a page ( I usually check who's online on my webstore) and it was slow then I got this:
    The connection has timed out
    The server at shop.fastnloud.com is taking too long to respond.
    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I can access any other website without any trouble whatsoever, only with my admin page I get this and my web store being slower than before...

Plugin Contributions

Ok guys,
    I tried to log in a different location, same problem, can't even load the login page to the admin. and had to refresh the page to access web store... so it is definitely not my internet connection. Can it really be the server then, if every other website performs normally on my computer, does that exclude a problem with my computer? But then why am I the only one that get problems with the web store when it seems everybody reports it to be fast? This is so frustrating, cos I'm losing business while this problem lasts since I can't promote my webstore if I m not sure there is a problem with it...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast