Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Expert recommendations about deployment?

25+ years in IT but new to ZC
    I am setting up a new site and wonder what the experts / experienced users recommend.

How do the experts handle the dev/test/deploy problem?

I have a localhost sandbox I already use for dev but is it better to have

1) active store in public_html (DN points there) with a sub-folder /test
    or
    2) public_html/store and public_html/test
    or
    3) different DNs for store and test

Besides file location, what about the DB aspect? It is easy enough right now to export/import my sandbox DB
    but once the store goes live that wont be an option.

Don't want to do this twice so I would love to hear from those with experience maintaining/updating an active store.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Expert recommendations about deployment?

Having your development site in localhost or a subfolder of your domain is a matter of personal taste; either can work well. The host server subfolder is exactly the same environment as the live site will be, which may be important if you are doing unusual things with your configuration. You should protect this subfolder so search engines don't find it and start indexing it as potential duplicate content. The localhost environment allows instant review of changes without fancy maneuvering and is very simple to handle.

I see no benefit whatever to having your live store in a subfolder (unless it actually is subsidiary to the main purpose of your website). Your customers would either have to type extra text to get to the store, or be redirected from the base domain to a subfolder making the site links not match the domain name.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    Having your development site in localhost or a subfolder of your domain is a matter of personal taste; either can work well. The host server subfolder is exactly the same environment as the live site will be, which may be important if you are doing unusual things with your configuration. You should protect this subfolder so search engines don't find it and start indexing it as potential duplicate content. The localhost environment allows instant review of changes without fancy maneuvering and is very simple to handle.

I see no benefit whatever to having your live store in a subfolder (unless it actually is subsidiary to the main purpose of your website). Your customers would either have to type extra text to get to the store, or be redirected from the base domain to a subfolder making the site links not match the domain name.
    I like doing dev on localhost, it is faster and there is no SFTP uploads to contend with, especially when installing and evaluating modules, etc. but there are always differences if you have more than 1 environment, IE missing PHP modules, different php.ini, email is different, etc., having a /test is my last chance to be sure it's right before the world finds my mistakes.

So is the bottom line
    DN->public_html with the live site in there and DN->public_html/test created from the live site and DB, probably only when needed (it fast enough to set up each time I need it)

It seams no matter the approach is there anyway to avoid the last minute manual changes to the live config via the admin back end (IE another opportunity to fat finger something). DO you just take good notes or maybe DB export, merge and import?? I'm a little paranoid as the site belongs to a family member and crashing it goes well beyond losing money but at the same time I don't want to make extra work for myself either. I figured you experts must have done this a thousand times and there would be a right way and a wrong way.

Thanks for the input, still hoping others will comment with their approach.

Always best to learn from the mistakes of others

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post

I can't add much to this... I agree with Glenn entirely.

Unless you are an expert at setting up a localhost with all its complex PHP configurations, it is a LOT easier to buy some hosting space with a GOOD HOST that knows eCommerce (and zencart in particular), as their server is going to be optimised and properly set up. Additionally, there are a number of functions that just cannot be reliably tested on a localhost.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Got the hosting site setup already, SSL installed, Email & FTP accounts all ready
    Got the USPS setup & verified, guess Paypal is next unless I can find a better payment solution
    Installed the site with a dummy index.html and then verified index.php
    Site works great, waiting for owners to provide input and changes.
    Site not live yet so I want to setup right the first time

Plugin Contributions

PS. Localhost already done, been around for years, recently upgraded to Apache 2.4.3 w/Open SSL, PHP 5.4.11 and MySql 5.5.30
    installed the workbench but I prefer phpMyAdmin. I keep the local sandbox as close to the hosting site config as possible but try as hard as I do there are always differences, thus the reason for a /test.

Plugin Contributions

If you installed MANUALLY (rather than through a host's "one-click install") then your site is probably functionally "robust" already.

Plenty to do in the ADMIN CONSOLE now, to get custom configurations in place.

HAVE YOU:

1. Installed your CUSTOM template? (Do not use "classic" as this is the DEFAULT template and is useful for diagnostic reasons later). Lots of excellent templates that are easily customizable in the PLUGINS area - those by Picaflor Azul are recommended.
    2. Considered the following plugins (which I install pretty much as "standard" these days) :-
    - Easy Populate Version 4.
    - SitemapsXML
    - Google Analytics Mod
    - Image Handler 4
    - Numinix's Fast & Easy Checkout (from numinix.com)

PayPal express should be favoured over PayPal Standard (IPN).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    I can't add much to this... I agree with Glenn entirely.

....... there are a number of functions that just cannot be reliably tested on a localhost.
    Agree, local is nice for speed and initial eval but still need a test. Am I to understand you do all your development, module evals, etc on your hosting site?? If so, what is your process to move from /dev to a live site??

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCuervo View Post
    PS. Localhost already done, been around for years, recently upgraded to Apache 2.4.3 w/Open SSL, PHP 5.4.11 and MySql 5.5.30
    installed the workbench but I prefer phpMyAdmin. I keep the local sandbox as close to the hosting site config as possible but try as hard as I do there are always differences, thus the reason for a /test.
    Well you know what you are doing then... The PLUGINS I suggest are very reliable and I no longer "test" them before an installation - but you may care to test on your local machine, just to get familiar with their operation.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    If you installed MANUALLY (rather than through a host's "one-click install") then your site is probably functionally "robust" already.

Plenty to do in the ADMIN CONSOLE now, to get custom configurations in place.

HAVE YOU:

1. Installed your CUSTOM template? (Do not use "classic" as this is the DEFAULT template and is useful for diagnostic reasons later). Lots of excellent templates that are easily customizable in the PLUGINS area - those by Picaflor Azul are recommended.
    2. Considered the following plugins (which I install pretty much as "standard" these days) :-
    - Easy Populate Version 4.
    - SitemapsXML
    - Google Analytics Mod
    - Image Handler 4
    - Numinix's Fast & Easy Checkout (from numinix.com)

PayPal express should be favoured over PayPal Standard (IPN).

No to the one-click install did the ZC unzip -> upload -> zc install -> verified then uploaded from localhost with the DB export and Import
    Already had a custimixed template (started with one of hers, nice work by the way), installed IH 4.0 and Easy Pop on localhost, used COWOA not Numinix's Fast & Easy Checkout (from numinix.com). Is Numinix's better ??
    Will have to try Google Analytics on localhost, what's it for?

Is PayPAL Express the same as Standard? I mean do I install the Express module but sign up for PayPal Standard? PayPal's website says nothing about express.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast