Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Idea or Suggestion Re: PayPal Express Checkout Default Language

Version 1.3.9

Try changing line 976 (version 1.3.9h) in includes/modules/payment/paypal/paypalwpp.php and change true to false.

The line you are looking for is:

PHP Code:
    $storeISO zen_get_countries(STORE_COUNTRYtrue); 
    which should be changed into:

PHP Code:
    $storeISO zen_get_countries(STORE_COUNTRYfalse); 
    Now Paypal (Express) should be directing your users based on either the default language or, if enabled, the language preference as set by the user.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express Checkout Default Language

Ok.. I've tried every variation of every option noted in this thread and can't for the life of me get this to work.

Although, having said that, my debug files say it IS working.... but PayPal continues to stubbornly pop up in the wrong language - Japanese.

My store is for foreigners in Japan and is based in Japan, but I do get some Japanese customers too. So I'm trying to get PayPal to react the customers browser and personal zen cart settings and show PayPal accordingly. I can see in the debug files coming through from PayPal Express that my [LOCALECODE] is going through to PayPal just fine. In fact I have implemented all the suggestions in this thread and can quite skillfully adjust this code to whatever I want. No matter what code shows, no matter what I have as my Store Location, PayPal ALWAYS pops up in Japanese.

Here is an example of one of the thousands of debug files I have created over the past 10 hours trying to sort this out:

2011-05-11 11:33:59
    -------------------
    (live transaction) --> https://api-3t.paypal.com/nvp Request Headers:
    Array
    (
    [0] => Content-Type: text/namevalue
    [1] => X-VPS-Timeout: 45
    [2] => X-VPS-VIT-Client-Type: PHP/cURL
    [3] => X-VPS-VIT-Integration-Product: PHP::Zen Cart - WPP-NVP
    [4] => X-VPS-VIT-Integration-Version: 1.3.8a
    )

Request Parameters: {SetExpressCheckout} Array (
    [LOCALECODE] => US
    [PAYMENTACTION] => Sale
    [ADDROVERRIDE] => 1
    [SHIPTONAME] => Tony Bunnister
    [SHIPTOSTREET] => scvbkjn
    [SHIPTOSTREET2] => nkjnkjn
    [SHIPTOCITY] => jnknkn
    [SHIPTOZIP] => Ishikawa
    [SHIPTOSTATE] => kjnkjnk
    [SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE] => JP
    [EMAIL] =>
    [PHONENUM] =>
    [AMT] => 3,380.00
    [RETURNURL] =>
    [CANCELURL] =>
    [PAGESTYLE] => Primary
    [METHOD] => SetExpressCheckout
    [CURRENCYCODE] => JPY
    [USER] =>
    [PWD] =>
    [VERSION] => 3.2
    [SIGNATURE] => ****************************************************
    )

Response:
    Array
    (
    [TOKEN] => EC-52U92443533900445
    [TIMESTAMP] => 2011-05-11T14:34:01Z
    [CORRELATIONID] => 5af643a6d3176
    [ACK] => Success
    [VERSION] => 3.2
    [BUILD] => 1882144
    [CURL_ERRORS] =>
    )

[check_valid] => true
    [language] => english
    [languages_id] => 1
    [languages_code] => en
    [currency] => JPY
    [today_is] => 2011-05-11
    [updateExpirations] => 1
    [session_counter] => 1
    [customers_ip_address] => 219.29.222.172
    [customer_id] => 85
    [customer_default_address_id] => 99
    [customers_authorization] => 0
    [customer_first_name] => Tony
    [customer_last_name] => Bunnister
    [customer_country_id] => 107
    [customer_zone_id] => 0
    [valid_to_checkout] => 1
    [sendto] => 99
    [payment] => paypalwpp

address details from override check:Array (
    [entry_firstname] => Tony
    [entry_lastname] => Bunnister
    [entry_street_address] => scvbkjn
    [entry_suburb] => nkjnkjn
    [entry_city] => jnknkn
    [entry_postcode] => Ishikawa
    [entry_country_id] => 107
    [entry_zone_id] => 0
    [entry_state] => kjnkjnk
    [zone_code] => kjnkjnk
    [countries_iso_code_2] => JP
    )

I've asked someone to go through checkout from the UK and they said that PayPal popped up perfectly in English. So obviously it's to do with where the user is. But that would be [LOCALECODE] right?!!?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated but I'm starting to get the impression, the issue is with PayPal and not with zencart.

Thanks,

Tony

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by breezie1977 View Post
    Although, having said that, my debug files say it IS working.... but PayPal continues to stubbornly pop up in the wrong language - Japanese.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated but I'm starting to get the impression, the issue is with PayPal and not with zencart.
    Yes, it seems to be an issue on the PayPal side.
    Contact them: www.paypal.com/mts

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Just to update you all with my issue - I've had no luck whatsoever!!

I've been chatting with the people at www.paypal.com/mts who have been fantastic. Really quick replies and, after not getting anywhere with their suggestions, they even advised me to do something which would "definitely fix it, but not a textbook method".

Even that didn't work.

First of all they said that if you can see the LOCALECODE changing and the site still doesn't show up in the right language then something is fishy. I reassured them I could change this code and they came back to me asking me to go into my PHP admin on my sever and alter the database entry which tells Zen Cart where to send PayPal customers. I was asked to alter it from "www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr", to "www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr" - something the guy said he wasn't sure "how much mileage" I'd get out of it, but as a quick fix it would work.

This sounded great and I was thrilled, until I checked the database only to find it was ALREADY set to the us version!!!! Altered it to the UK one to test. No dice.

Perhaps its something to do with my cookies (although I've been clearing them after every attempt to resolve this) or perhaps it's because when I registered with PayPal I did so on the Japanese site, who knows.

I've seen something called "payflow" which seems like it can be set to UK or US versions. Would PayFlow help me out here? Any other suggestions from anyone out there?!

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Payflow is a credit card gateway, and is a completely different product than Express Checkout.

Best to continue working with PayPal to figure out why their system is picking a different language than what it's being told to use.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

FYI
    To avoid anyone else wasting time on this.

I noticed that the language of the Paypal payment page was inconsistent…and after a bit of reading and a lot of testing I find the following to be true.
    There is a parameter LOCALECODE which you can send to Paypal to (in theory) determine the page language but they very helpfully ignore it completely if there is a SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE parameter (the country of the billing address).
    They use the SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE as though its a language code.
    Paypal seem to think that everyone in the same country speaks the same language just like in the USA(!)

I tried to comment out various instances of SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE in paypalwpp.php to generate an empty or no SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE but I think this is a required parameter by Paypal so it would always cause an error.

So unless someone can tell me how to omit this parameter without causing an error, it seems you have to live with this idiocy.

Depending on the SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE of the order, Paypal may (ie sometimes there is no choice) offer a language selector drop-down with some language options related to the country selected, but not all language options are offered!

Rubbish.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Just to clarify what you can expect dealing with Paypal with a multi-lingual shop, here are the results of my testing.

I surmise that:

1) First Paypal take the shipping country (SHIPTOCOUNTRY) as the primary reference. For each country they may or may not have multiple (preferred) languages associated with it. Hence sometime there's a language selection drop-down and sometimes not.

2) IF your language (LOCALECODE) is in their list for that country, you get what you asked for.
    If not, you get whatever Paypal has decided to offer for that country, with maybe a drop down, or not, who knows.

In short, una caca.

Note that I have found no written evidence to support my crackpot theory. All Paypal's documentation states that LOCALECODE sets the language, which is evidently not true.

Further reading for insomniacs:
    https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?c...xpressCheckout

https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/api/merchant/SetExpressCheckout_API_Operation_NVP/

My tests:
    Shop Language LOCALECODE Shipping Country SHIPTOCOUNTRY Paypal Language Language DropDown Comments
    Spanish es_ES Indonesia ID Bahasa Bahasa, English strtoupper disabled
    Spanish ES Indonesia ID Bahasa Bahasa, English
    English en_US Indonesia ID English Bahasa, English
    English GB Indonesia ID English Bahasa, English
    English GB Spain ES Spanish None
    English US Spain ES Spanish None
    English en_US Spain ES English None
    English EN_US Spain ES English None strtoupper enabled
    Spanish ES_ES Spain ES Spanish None
    English EN_US Portugal PT English English, Español, Francais, Portugùes, Chinese
    Spanish ES Portugal PT English English, Español, Francais, Portugùes, Chinese
    Spanish ES_ES Portugal PT Spanish English, Español, Francais, Portugùes, Chinese
    English en_US Germany DE English None
    Spanish ES_ES Germany DE German None
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12