Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Japanese Pack 1.3.7 (Crystal Koi)

I want to change some of the labels on the address form, etc., but no matter what text editor I use or text encoding I select, all I see is a string of seemingly random characters. Is this a problem on my end or is there something I need to know about working with Japanese in php?

Plugin Contributions

You can use dreamweaver. This is a common problem when you 1st start with Japanese and php.

Open dreamweaver then go to Modify>Page Properties>Title/Encoding>Encoding> Japanese EUC

All should work from there, let me know if that doesn't.

CK

Plugin Contributions

Ahh, I had tried UTF-8, Shift_JIS, and Mac Japanese, but I missed EUC. Thanks muchly.

Plugin Contributions

Well I fixed the htmlarea problems I was having. I detailed my fix here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...425#post388425

I guess it was host related because it depended on how my host gives me access to my files through the shared ssl cert which led to the paths not being written correctly when you have your admin all protected with ssl.

Plugin Contributions

I was getting annoyed at dealing with multiple character sets, so I switched everything over to Unicode. I had to reinstall Zen Cart on my server, but since my site's not live yet and I'm doing all my development on a local server, for me, at least, it was a trivial matter. Anyway, if anyone else is interested, I've zipped up the necessary files to create a completely Unicode-friendly install of Zen Cart. From my brief testing, everything seems to be in order.

http://phreakymonkey.googlepages.com...panesepack.zip

This pack includes a copy of CrystalKoi's pack. I have simply converted all files to Unicode, and changed the necessary lines so that your store will serve as UTF-8. Hopefully I didn't miss anything...

It also includes a copy of the Unicode install pack I found here, which will allow you to create your MySQL tables in Unicode when installing Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Have you tested this unicode on a computer other than yours, both English and Japanese OS?

Plugin Contributions

If you have a link to a test site, can you pm it to me? I would love to explore this option for the pack and further development of the pack. Also test the emails and such in diffrent email clients. I will reserch this more, and thanks for the idea.

Plugin Contributions

Actually after looking in to using UTF-8 for encoding, might not be the best option. I need to find more facts about it, and I am up to hearing what others have to say on this subject, but as for now I am going to keep the pack we are making in EUC. If anyone has any good facts on this, I am all ears!

Regards,
    CK

Plugin Contributions

After I made that post I came across some search results that lead me away from UTF-8. I am no expert on this, so If someone can tell me other reasons for it, that would be great. Here are links and copies of some of what I have come across. (edit...really hard to read so here are the links.)

http://people.debian.org/~kubota/unicode-symbols.html

http://people.debian.org/~kubota/uni...ols-3.1.1.html

Plugin Contributions

As I said, I'm not testing on a live site, but I was running into issues with certain characters displaying strangely because I have some Japanese characters on the English side and vice versa, which is why I went through and changed everything.
    I'm no expert on encodings either, but I'd rather not have to deal with incompatibilities. Perhaps it will turn out to be a bad idea, but it's easy enough to change it back.

Those articles you linked to are six years old and there have been two major version changes since then, so it is likely that any serious issues have been ironed out at this point. But it would probably be wiser to solicit the advice of someone who actually knows what they're talking about, because I certainly don't.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast